Social Security Forums: Federal Policy - Tribal Implications and Opportunities

  • Anne Frasi
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 1, 2000
      From: LaDonna Fowler
      Sent: Thursday, August 31, 2000 11:33 PM
      Subject: [rezlife] Social Security Forums: Federal Policy - Tribal Implications and Opportunities

      FYI and to pass around to get word out to Indian Country (if you could get it to tribal programs who may not know or better yet, into newspapers to inform people that this is happening, that would be great). If people are able to attend, this would be great. Consumers are really needed but for most there will be the need for funding and possibly tribes could be asked to share in these costs for not only tribal program people who need to know, but for elders and people with disabilties.

      Region VIII Public Forum, Federal Policy - Tribal Implications and Opportunities, September 13th & 14th, 2000, Fort Collins, CO:

      "...will be two, one day public education forums regarding new legislative chagnes in Federal programs that provide for employment related services and supports for people with disabilities. On September 13th and 14th, the Social Security Administration is hosting two forums that will provide expert presenters, public education materials and numerous opportunities for discussion that we hope will assist disabled Native Americans, their advocates and Tribal representatives in understanding and using the various programs and supports provided for in new legislation.

      On September 13th, we are hosting the Denver Regional Forum. This the 10th and last in a series of Regional Public Education Forums that SSA has conducted across the country. Some of you may have attended a regional forum in your home region. If you have not, please plan to attend the Denver Regional Forum so that you may obtain a basic understanding of these new programs.

      The first day is a full day of public education and general information for the State systems, providers, consumers and advocates from the states in that Federal Region. The Forum is open to the public and invitations are extended to consumers, providers and state officials from that region. In addition to the general invitations, we are inviting tribal representatives from across the country to participate in the Denver Regional Forum.

      Then on September 14th, we are hosting a Tribal Forum that will focus on a public education issues and program implications for Tribal members and Tribal programs. We hope to build on the first day's general information about the new legislation and to provide ample opportunity for participants to discuss the implications, opportunities and ideas for Tribes to use these new programs to their benefit."

      To register for the conference, please contact Brenda Beck (bcbeck10@...)at 703/442-9015 or 703/448-3088.
      You can also contact Margaret Mann (MMann10438@...) or Marie Strahan (Marie.P.Strahan@...) concerning the conference or more information.