Homage to Nunavut !! / Inquiring Mind

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 24, 2013

      http://dereksdharma.wordpress.com/

      “Nunavut, from this moment: sea mammals, we state to you:

      the water, the sea do not pollute our sea–it is our home;

      do not make it a concern, do not contaminate it;

      so that we may continue to be a food resource.

      Our Creator has created us to provide food for you.

      As fish we state to you:

      the lakes, look after the lakes. manage your fresh water so that we will not be contaminated and we can continue to be a food source,

      because our Creator has created us to be a food source for Inuit.

      The mammals of the land, we state to you: please take care of the land and the vegetation;

      please do not contaminate us for they are our only food and our only habitat;

      so that we may not be a concern, and continue to be a food source, and a source of clothing.

      Our Creator created us, so that we could be utilized, by you.

      The air of Nunavut–those of us who are birds say to you:

      because we fly through the air over vast distances to migrate to the Arctic–please watch over the land and the air,

      so that we will not be contaminated, and remain a food source for you.

      Our Creator has created us so that we could be here with you,

      for as long as the sun shall set,

      for as long as the sun shall rise.”

      =========================

      Inquiring Mind

      http://www.inquiringmind.com/

      Inquiring Mind is a donation supported, semiannual journal dedicated to the creative transmission of Buddhadharma to the West. Founded in 1983 and published each April and October, the journal is distributed worldwide to a readership of more than 30,000 people.

      Readers of Inquiring Mind include followers of many different Buddhist traditions, and others interested in the philosophy and ideas of Buddhism. Born out of the Theravada Buddhist community of Insight (vipassana) meditators, Inquiring Mind is highly regarded for its excellent and thought provoking interviews of Buddhist teachers, philosophers, psychologists and artists, as well as for its presentation of art, poetry, stories and humorous essays.

      Regular contributors include Jack Kornfield, Sharon Salzberg, Joseph Goldstein, Thich Nhat Hanh, Joanna Macy, Jon Kabat-Zinn, Gary Snyder, Nina Wise, Robert Thurman, Ram Dass and many others. In addition, each issue includes an extensive international calendar of vipassana retreats, as well as a listing of events and sitting groups throughout North America.

      Each issue of Inquiring Mind explores in depth a particular theme or subject that is of relevance to Westerners interested in the teachings of Buddhadharma. Our most recent offering, Spring 2013, is entitled “Once Upon A Time: Stories & Poems of the Dharma.” Following is our introduction to this issue and a list of the featured articles.

      Human beings try to understand what it means to be human by telling stories, by making songs and poems. In the telling and the hearing, we explore what it is to be alive, to love, to lose those we love, to be silly, to have adventures. Stories are made to be told, poems to be shared; they undo our belief in a small separate self.

      Storytelling sometimes has a bad name in Buddhist contexts. Teachers say, "Don't be attached to a false view of yourself! Drop your story. The stories you tell yourself about yourself confine you."

      But Buddhism also makes use of stories. In the story of the "Four Heavenly Messengers," for example, Prince Siddhartha slips away from the protective confines of his parents' palace and is shocked to encounter someone sick, someone old, and a corpse. Inspired by meeting the fourth messenger, a holy man, the prince sets off to find the path that brings release from suffering. And Zen Buddhism offers koans, tiny charged stories, open-ended and poetic, that can shock the student into letting go of delusion. These are the stories of our Buddhist family.

      And all of us have family stories, whether we are Buddhists or not—how our parents met, or our dogs got lost and found. We pass these stories along from one generation to the next, embellishing them, laughing at ourselves.

      SUSAN: Recently I read a story to my six-year-old granddaughter from an album of family tales recorded by my great-grandmother. When her daughter (my great-aunt) was a little girl, she loved sweet potato skins, and she used to hide them behind a cushion of the living room sofa, for later. One day my great-grandmother had a lady friend for tea. "What lovely fabric!" the guest declared, picking up the cushion. And there was a pile of old sweet potato skins! Six generations later, my granddaughter loved this story. Family stories like this satisfy and delight us—reminding us not to take ourselves too ponderously. Even venerable ancestors get into mischief!

      BARBARA: My father used to tell a story about playing hide-and-seek when he was a little boy. Behind the rustling dresses in his grandmother's walk-in closet, he found a sliding panel that revealed a secret chamber. A stairway circled down to the cellar. "This had to be where my great-great-grandparents harbored runaway slaves!" he told us. My brother and sister and I loved to hear, and later to tell, this tale connecting our family to the heroic Underground Railroad.

      SUSAN: My grandmother (sister of the potato-skin girl) was sent to a boarding school for proper young ladies. She didn't want to be a proper young lady and was always getting in trouble. The punishment for misbehavior at that school was to memorize a poem. When I was a child, Grandma would recite Keats or Milton at the drop of a hat. She often told me that being a naughty girl brought her the best part of her whole education—the gift of poetry.

      BARBARA: My mother tells a story about her mother, who, as she was dying, read aloud a poem by Edna St. Vincent Millay:

      My soul is all but out of me,—let fall No burning leaf; prithee, let no bird call.

      After my grandmother died, I learned this poem by heart; reciting it, I connect with her and feel the ache of love and loss, of shared human fragility.

      For this issue of Inquiring Mind, we invited submissions of stories and poems with a "dharmic" perspective. We present this work in three sections, for the Buddha's "three marks of existence": suffering, impermanence and no fixed self.

      There once was a prince from Lumbini
      who instructed yogis and yogini
      He taught them all freedom
      from clinging to "me-dom"
      thus making their suffering teeny.

      — Susan Moon and Barbara Gatesr
      (Limerick by the editorial staff)

      FEATURES

      Reading to the Threshold of the Great Unanswerable
      An Interview with Pico Iyer by Patrick McMahon

      Seeking the Elusive Self
      by Ven. Bhikkhu Bodhi

      SUFFERING
      Stories by Jarvis Masters and Chris Malcomb
      Poetry by Minal Hajratwala, Stephanie Baker and Jenna Nielsen

      IMPERMANENCE
      Stories by Patricia Mushim Y. Ikeda, Jaune Evans, Ellen Woods and Patrice Clark Koelsch
      Poetry by Marty Williams, Gary Turchin, Ron Crowcroft, Jerry Bolick, Robert D. Lovitt, Carolyn Dille and Matteo Pistono

      NO FIXED SELF
      Stories by Susan Moon, Joan Tollifson and Paul Pedroza
      Poetry by Jon Ballangrud, Jennifer Tseng, Steve Kanji Ruhl, Walt Opie, Susan Austin, Peter Blaustein and Denise Newman

      The Six Paramitas
      A crossword puzzle by Henri Picciotto

      Language That Hears Itself
      An Interview with Jane Hirshfield

      The Complex Gift of Story
      by Susan Murphy

      Nest/No Nest
      by Barbara Gates

      Practice: Practicing with Birth and Death
      by Will Kabat-Zinn

      The Dharma & The Drama: The One & Only One
      by Wes Nisker

      ============

      WHERE TO FIND FREE-DISTRIBUTION DHAMMA

      http://www.inquiringmind.com/Articles/OnlineArticlesList.html

      Here are a few (of many) websites offering printed and online free-distribution Dhamma books:

      www.abhayagiri.org

      www.accesstoinsight.org

      www.archive.org

      www.baus.org