[WGAR-news] Australia: Kado Muir, Aboriginal leader and activist, interviewed by Community Radio 3CR

  • WGAR News
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 14, 2013
      Kado Muir,
      Aboriginal leader and activist,
      interviewed by Community Radio 3CR

      Newsletter date: 15 June 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/06/14/wgar-news-kado-muir-aboriginal-leader-and-activist-interviewed-by-community-radio-3cr

      Contents:

      * Community Radio 3CR interview with Kado Muir, Aboriginal leader and activist from the goldfields region of inland WA
      * Background to the Walkatjurra Walkabout: Stepping out against uranium mining

      * Nicole Watson, Tracker: Standing on the shoulders of giants [The Land Rights movement]
      * Chris Munro, Tracker: Aboriginal Ink: A spoonful of land rights
      * Roy Ah See, Tracker: Lest we forget who paved the way

      * CAAMA Video: Native Title Conference
      * Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer: Native Title reforms to make it easier for developers
      * Background to Mabo and Native Title

      * Chris Munro, Tracker: Tribes help protect large area of Qld

      * Chris Graham, Tracker: LALC Land - Getting back to country

      * Debra Jopson, The Global Mail: Rock Art Threat Spurs State Investigation

      * COMMUNITY RADIO 3CR INTERVIEW WITH KADO MUIR,
      ABORIGINAL LEADER AND ACTIVIST
      FROM THE GOLDFIELDS REGION OF INLAND WA

      - Audio Interview

      3CR Community Radio: Radioactive Show 08.06.2013
      http://www.3cr.org.au/radioactive/podcast/radioactive-show-08062013
      8 Jun 13: "Walking and Talking with Kado Muir.
      A Conversation from the Desert. This weeks show is a
      fascinating conversation with Indigenous leader and
      activist Kado Muir, from the goldfields region of inland WA.
      We hear Kado’s thoughts on the sovereignty movement, the
      impacts of mining on his land and his response to the
      arguments put forward by Marcia Langton in this years Boyer
      Lectures, broadcast on the ABC."

      * BACKGROUND TO THE WALKATJURRA WALKABOUT:
      STEPPING OUT AGAINST URANIUM MINING

      WGAR News: Walkatjurra Walkabout:
      Stepping out against uranium mining: WANFA & ANAWA
      (11 May 13)
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/05/10/wgar-news-walkatjurra-walkabout-stepping-out-against-uranium-mining-wanfa-anawa

      WGAR News: Gerry Georgatos, The Stringer:
      The Walkatjurra Walk - three weeks of desert and rain
      (6 Jun 13)
      [scroll down page] http://indymedia.org.au/2013/06/05/wgar-news-no-plans-for-jpp-gas-hub-but-matter-still-goes-to-court-aleisha-orr-wa-today

      Western Australian Nuclear Free Alliance (WANFA)
      http://www.indymedia.org.au/2013/01/02/western-australian-nuclear-free-alliance-wanfa

      * NICOLE WATSON, TRACKER:
      STANDING ON THE SHOULDERS OF GIANTS

      - Analysis / Opinion

      agendaTracker: Little Black Duck:
      Standing on the shoulders of giants

      http://tracker.org.au/2013/06/little-black-duck-standing-on-the-shoulders-of-giants/
      11 Jun 13: "The Land Rights movement is Australia’s oldest,
      continuing political struggle. While it remains vitally
      important to each one of us, I often find it difficult to
      express in words what the Movement actually means to me.
      But given that this issue of Tracker is dedicated to the
      thirtieth anniversary of the Aboriginal Land Rights Act
      1983 (NSW), I thought that it would be fitting for me to
      try. I come from a community that is yet to gain land
      rights. I have no real idea of what it is like to live on
      land that is owned and governed by Aboriginal people.
      Nonetheless, the Land Rights movement is indelibly etched
      into my soul."
      By Nicole Watson, a Murri lawyer and researcher,
      Jumbunna Indigenous House of Learning,
      University of Technology, Sydney

      * CHRIS MUNRO, TRACKER:
      ABORIGINAL INK:
      A SPOONFUL OF LAND RIGHTS

      - Analysis / Opinion

      agendaTracker: Aboriginal Ink: A spoonful of land rights
      http://tracker.org.au/2013/06/aboriginal-ink-a-spoonful-of-land-rights/
      6 Jun 13: "NATIONAL: In speculating on the next 30 years of
      Aboriginal land rights, CHRIS MUNRO looks at some of the
      challenges experienced by Malcolm X and the Nation of Islam
      in America during the mid sixties. Three decades of land
      rights for Aboriginal people in NSW is quite an
      achievement. As you’ll read in the pages of Tracker this
      month, there’s been plenty of hard fought gains along the
      way and rivers of blood spilt in the streets. Indeed the
      NSW Aboriginal Land Council and the land rights network
      more broadly is a testament to those warriors who dedicated
      their lives to making a semblance of equality a reality."
      By Chris Munro, a Gamilaroi man,
      a former political correspondent for NITV National News

      * ROY AH SEE, TRACKER:
      LEST WE FORGET WHO PAVED THE WAY

      - Analysis / Opinion

      agendaTracker: Lest we forget who paved the way
      http://tracker.org.au/2013/06/lest-we-forget-who-paved-the-way/
      3 Jun 13: "2013 is the 30th anniversary of land rights in
      NSW. This opinion piece by Cr ROY AH SEE is devoted to our
      warriors, our fighters and elders. I often get asked what
      is the best part about my job as an elected Councillor for
      the NSW Aboriginal Land Council. When I was elected to the
      Board in 2007, I saw the region I’ve been elected to
      represent - Sydney/Newcastle - as a kind of a blank canvas.
      So I used to think that one of the best parts about my job
      was the freedom to plan your day, and the autonomy to do
      what you want. That was until I realized ... " By Roy Ah See
      "Roy Ah See is the Councillor for the Sydney-Newcastle region.
      He was born and raised on Nanima Reserve in Wellington, NSW
      on the banks of the Macquarie River. He now lives in the
      Central Coast of NSW and is a member of the Darkinjung
      Local Aboriginal Land Council."

      * CAAMA VIDEO:
      NATIVE TITLE CONFERENCE

      - Video

      Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association:
      Native Title Conference

      Vimeo: http://vimeo.com/67865892
      8 Jun 13

      - Related Audio

      Central Australian Aboriginal Media Association:
      http://caama.com.au/radio#tabs-6
      http://caama.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/am-4-06.mp3
      4 Jun 13: "* The 2013 National Native Title Conference is
      underway in Mparntwe Alice Springs …with large numbers of
      Aboriginal stakeholders from across the country attending.
      * The three day conference was off to a busy start with
      visiting American lawyer and legal scholar Professor Robert
      A Williams Jnr challenging the notion of sovereignty and
      what it might mean for Aboriginal people in this country."

      - Past Event

      Event: 3 - 5 June 2013: Alice Springs, NT
      National Native Title Conference 2013:
      Shaping the Future

      This year’s themes include,
      The Native Title Act 20 years on and where to from here?
      "The Native Title Research Unit co-hosts the
      Annual National Native Title Conference.
      The conference is co-hosted by a native title
      representative body (NTRB) and permission is sought
      from local traditional owners to hold the
      conference in their country."
      "The conference engages with native title as
      an active agenda for justice for people and country
      - both before and after the outcome of native title
      determination, and within the broader compass
      of traditional ownership."
      Event details: http://www.aiatsis.gov.au/ntru/ntc13.html
      Event details: http://www.clc.org.au/articles/info/national-native-title-conference-alice-springs-convention-centre-3-5-june-2
      Event summary: http://www.theblackbook.com.au/whatson_detail.asp?id=985&si=0&mi=3&yi=2013
      Event summary: http://www.humanrights.gov.au/about/events/index.html
      WGAR Background to Mabo and Native Title: http://indymedia.org.au/2012/07/02/background-to-mabo-and-native-title

      * GERRY GEORGATOS, THE STRINGER:
      NATIVE TITLE REFORMS TO MAKE IT EASIER FOR DEVELOPERS

      - Analysis / Opinion

      The Stringer:
      Native Title reforms to make it easier for developers

      http://thestringer.com.au/native-title-reforms-to-make-it-easier-for-developers/
      10 Jun 13: "The Native Title Act, watered down by Paul
      Keating and then butchered by John Howard, is in for another
      bashing under a Coalition Government. Earlier this year the
      Coalition’s Tony Abbott told The Stringer that there would
      be changes to Native Title processes. These changes would
      ensure less red tape for miners and developers. Mr Abbott
      said he would describe the prospective changes and the
      detail around them closer to September 14. The annual
      National Native Title Conference, with a theme of 'Shaping
      the future', was held last week in Alice Springs."
      By Gerry Georgatos,
      a life-long human rights and social justice campaigner,
      a multi-award winning investigative journalist

      * BACKGROUND TO MABO AND NATIVE TITLE:

      Last updated: 11 June 2013

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/07/02/background-to-mabo-and-native-title

      * CHRIS MUNRO, TRACKER:
      TRIBES HELP PROTECT LARGE AREA OF QLD

      - News

      newsTracker: Tribes help protect large area of Qld
      http://tracker.org.au/2013/06/aboriginals-help-protect-large-area-of-qld/
      11 Jun 13: "QLD: Eight Aboriginal tribes in far north
      Queensland have been tasked with helping to protect more
      than a million hectares of land. Parts of the Girringun
      Region, between Cairns and Townsville and inland to
      Greenvale, became an Indigenous Protected Area (IPA) on
      Saturday. This includes parts of the Wet Tropics as well as
      coastal areas of the Great Barrier Reef. Girringun
      Aboriginal Corporation boss Phil Rist said this allows
      traditional owners to help other environmental and
      government groups look after the area."
      By Chris Munro, a Gamilaroi man,
      a former political correspondent for NITV National News

      * CHRIS GRAHAM, TRACKER:
      LALC LAND - GETTING BACK TO COUNTRY

      - Analysis / Opinion

      LALC Land in Tracker: Getting back to country
      http://tracker.org.au/2013/06/getting-back-to-country/
      13 Jun 13: "LALC LAND: The Gilgandra Aboriginal community
      has teamed up with a government authority to return a
      significant parcel of land back to its former glory. But how
      they got there is a remarkable story of white and black
      Australians working together. CHRIS GRAHAM reports."
      By Chris Graham,
      a Walkley Award and Human Rights award winning writer

      * DEBRA JOPSON, THE GLOBAL MAIL:
      ROCK ART THREAT SPURS STATE INVESTIGATION

      - News

      The Global Mail: Rock Art Threat Spurs State Investigation
      http://www.theglobalmail.org/blog/rock-art-threat-spurs-state-investigation/629/
      3 Jun 13: "The New South Wales Government is close to
      completing a formal investigation, prompted by a March
      report in The Global Mail, into the desecration of two Blue
      Mountains caves rich in Aboriginal rock art. The deadline
      for an assessment on how to conserve the caves is due
      "mid-year," state Environment Minister Robyn Parker said
      last week. ... "Rock art gets hardly any money in the NPWS
      Office of Environment and Heritage (OEH) budget... " says
      Brennan. [archaeologist Wayne Brennan]" By Debra Jopson

      - - -

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact and includes occasional activities and events.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)