NFL Commissioner defends Redskins name in letter to Congress !!

  • ghwelker
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 12, 2013

      USA Today: NFL Commissioner defends Redskins name in letter to Congress

      The nickname of the Washington pro football team is "a unifying force that stands for strength, courage, pride and respect," NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell said in a letter to 10 members of Congress who'd urged him to reject the name.

      Goodell's letter, dated June 5, was released Tuesday by U.S. Rep. Betty McCollum (D-Minn.) and Delegate Eni Faleomavaega (D-American Samoa), who roundly criticized the commissioner's stance in a joint statement.

      SNYDER SPEAKS: Owner says name will never change

      McCollum, co-chair of the Congressional Native American Caucus, called Goodell's defense of the name "twisted logic" and "a statement of absurdity." Faleomavaega, a member of the House Committees on Natural Resources and Foreign Affairs, said that "Goodell has completely missed the point. … It is time for the NFL to stop making excuses for itself and fully embrace its so-called commitment to diversity."

      Goodell's letter came in response to a May 13 letter from 10 members of Congress who asked him to "take a stand against the use of the word 'redskin' as the Washington franchise's name."

      NEXT: New generation of American Indians take on legal fight

      Goodell said in his letter that the team's name "from its origin represented a positive meaning distinct from any disparagement that could be viewed in some other context" and was never "meant to denigrate Native Americans or offend any group."

      McCollum said: "Goodell's letter is another attempt to justify a racial slur on behalf of (Redskins owner) Dan Snyder and other NFL owners who appear to be only concerned with earning ever larger profits, even if it means exploiting a racist stereotype of Native Americans."

      Goodell's letter cited opinion polls suggesting that the public at large, and many American Indians, are not offended by the name. He also cited a court ruling that upheld use of the name in a trademark disparagement case. A renewed version of that case is being considered by the Trademark Trial and Appeal Board, part of the U.S. Patent Office.

      Goodell's letter said, "As you correctly recognize, the issues raised with respect to the Washington Redskins name are complex, and we respect that reasonable people may view it differently, particularly over time. … The National Football League takes seriously its responsibility to exemplify the values of diversity and inclusion that make our country great."

      McCollum asked: "Would Roger Goodell and Dan Snyder actually travel to a Native American community and greet a group of tribal leaders by saying, 'Hey, what's up, redskin?' I think not. … Indian children, families and elders are Americans, and just like all racial, ethnic or religious groups, they deserve to be treated with respect and dignity, not as a demeaning caricature or mascot. That shouldn't be too much to ask of the NFL."

      AP: Tourists regain access to Grand Canyon Skywalk as tribe, rancher clash over paving project

      Tourists who had been denied access on the main road to the Grand Canyon Skywalk now have a way to get to the glass bridge, be it through a bypass route or a rancher’s checkpoint. The Hualapai Tribe, which operates the Skywalk, received a federal permit to create a three-quarter-mile route that will run adjacent to Nigel Turner’s ranch. A spokesman said it would be complete Tuesday.

      AP: Tribal leaders focus on energy development hurdles

      Federal and tribal politics and bureaucracy remain some of the reasons energy development has been so difficult in Indian Country, American Indian leaders said Tuesday. Navajo Nation President Ben Shelly, National Congress of American Indians President Jefferson Keel and others opened a three-day conference with a round-table discussion about the hurdles of developing natural resources, from oil and natural gas to renewable sources.

      AP: Will Disney's new Tonto be any better?

      The Hollywood image of Tonto once had the Lone Ranger's sidekick wearing a thin headband and lots of dangling fringes. The latest Disney version has a shirtless Johnny Depp adorned with feathers, a face painted white with black stripes, and a stuffed crow on his head. The character in the upcoming "The Lone Ranger" still speaks broken English and chants prayers. But Depp has said he's less subservient, honors the proud American Indian warrior and displays a dry sense of humor seen throughout Indian Country. The production even hired a Comanche adviser, making it decidedly a Comanche story, and received the blessing of other tribes through ceremonies during filming.

      AP: Mich. couple married on American Indian reservation invited to White House

      Two men who married one another on an American Indian reservation in Michigan, which bans same-sex marriage, have been invited to the White House. Tim LaCroix and his longtime partner, Gene Barfield, will be guests of President Barack Obama on Thursday at a reception honoring LGBT Pride Month, MLive.com reported Saturday. The men were married in March by the Little Traverse Bay Bands of Odawa Indians, of which LaCroix is a member. Same-sex marriage is prohibited in Michigan, but federally recognized Native American tribes are self-governing and aren’t bound by state law.

      CBS SF: Oakland Judge Allows American Indian Schools To Keep Operating, For Now

      A judge Thursday granted a temporary restraining order that allows an Oakland charter school that has high-achieving students but allegedly engaged in financial improprieties to keep operating for now. The Oakland school board voted by a narrow 4-3 margin on March 20 to revoke the charter for the American Indian Model Schools, alleging that the school hasn’t done enough to rectify financial irregularities that were found in a state audit last year.

      Daily Mail: Stunning stand-off between Amazon Indian tribe and government in Brazil over dam

      The Brazilian government is to send 110 soldiers to intervene in a land dispute between indigenous tribes claiming their ancestral territory and a local politician who owns the cattle ranch. One member of the Terena tribe was killed in the row as police tried to evict the 200-strong group last week. The group reoccupied the farm on Friday and the dead man's cousin was injured on Tuesday when he was shot by an unidentified attacker. Two other tribe members are missing.

      MJS: Tribe objects to drilling on mine site

      The Bad River Band of Lake Superior Chippewa has asked state authorities to halt plans by Gogebic Taconite to conduct exploratory drilling on a proposed iron ore-mining site in northern Wisconsin. But the Department of Natural Resources said Monday it doesn’t plan on reversing its decision to approve the company’s request to drill eight exploratory holes that will be used to evaluate the site for iron ore mining. The tribe says the DNR failed to consult or to formally notify the tribe during a review of a drilling request by the company.

    • ghwelker
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 13, 2013
        http://presenciataina.org/

        Atihuibancex

        (Atte'-wee-bahn-ce'ash)

        Mountain Wind Group

        en Español

        PresenciaTaina.TV
        ( Educational Research )

        Activities

        Educational Workshops

        Music and Dance

        Crafts

        Tattoo Designs

        Foto Marathon 2006

        Youtube Video

        Search Our Site

        Roger Atihuibancex
        Mountain Wind Group
        sponsored by UCTP
        Caribbean Indigenous Cultural Arts Collaborations

        Write and share your ideas with us.

        Contact Information: Email: rjhnyc@...

        Roger Atihuibancex

        Taino regalia and crafts
        modeled by Roger Atihuibancex

        Roger Atihuibancex:
        Taino documentation research and
        development projects on
        Caribbean Indigenous Cultural Arts since 1990

        This website works to strengthen Taino Indian arts and crafts collaborative workshop projects to promote and preserve our Caribbean indigenous cultural arts via supplementary and alternative Native American educational arts programs.

        The work accomplished throughout the years has been consistent with our taino mission statement, which is to promote education of our Caribbean community and its rich indigenous cultural arts heritage.

        Atihuibancex artistic presentations, exhibitions and workshops have generated interest and involvement from the Caribbeasn community and other Latino indigenous circles. Our taino program has served to inspire future cultural artists in developing their talents by drawing upon their cultural traditions.
        From the very young to the older adults, both females and males share in our positive creative artistic environment that will educate as well as enrich their lives. Our work has been well received throughout the NYC Metropolitan Tri State area bringing programming to well over 10,000 people.

        Our Taino projects serves the Caribbean indigenous community as well as other indigenous communities. To date, we have brought our programs to many places: elementary schools and universities, public and private institutions, parks and recreational facilities and public and private self help organizations. We service the old along with the young. The majority of our constituents come from low income neighborhoods and communities that receive very little contact with the artistic cultural educational circles. We introduce these elements that have otherwise seperated from each other to become whole once again. The response from these participants has been overwhelming, with an increased demand for our services.

        "Taino Warrior"

        Giclee Prints Size The Image is 20 x 25....
        plus a 1 inch border Limited Edition
        (Signed and Numbered)

        Other Artwork

        World's Best Art Gallery

        "The Power of Spirit"

        Artist:

        Mildred Torres-Speeg
        PO Box 37
        Mountain City, GA 30562

        Tel: (706) 746-3038
        Email: rvsmts@...

        Day of Encounter
        "

        "Day of Encounter"/ "Dia del Encuentro, 1493"

        Bay of Aguadilla-Aguada
        November 19, 1493

        Artwork by - Estela Robles

        Taino'ti
        Good Spirit be With You

        Atihuibancex would like to thank Mr. Glenn Welker, our Web Master,
        for his support of the Taino People and the technical assistance with this site.

        Selected by CAI as one of the top Caribbean sites on the Internet

        Make all website information requests in writing to: rjhnyc@....

        El Encuentro de Ponce De León y Agueybaná
        Becerrillo

        Copyright © 1993-2008Copyright © 1993-2008

        This page last updated 06/13/2013 19:45:25 This page last updated 06/13/2013 18:36:11

        Counter By
RightStats.Com!

        Fair Use Notice

        This site contains copyrighted material the use of which has not always been specifically authorized by the copyright owner. We are making such material available in our efforts to advance understanding of environmental, political, human rights, economic, democracy, scientific, and social justice issues, etc. We believe this constitutes a 'fair use' of any such copyrighted material as provided for in section 107 of the US Copyright Law. In accordance with Title 17 U.S.C. Section 107, the material on this site is distributed without profit to those who have expressed a prior interest in receiving the included information for research and educational purposes. For more information go to:

        If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.