Loading ...
Sorry, an error occurred while loading the content.
 

Re: Fwd: Tonga Talk/Photos/Film: & Maori moko

Expand Messages
  • Marakita Mehmet
    Then as a journalist you should know you simiply cannot censor stuff about the Pacific that s already in the public arena. Surely??? on 3/18/08 11:15 AM,
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 18, 2008
      Then as a journalist you should know you simiply cannot censor stuff about the Pacific that's already in the public arena.  Surely???


      on 3/18/08 11:15 AM, Rosina Hauiti at roosterx@... wrote:

       
       

      Kia ora Arahi,

      With all due to respect to you and your taake, to your whakapap, your tau iwi whakapapa and what you stand for.I'm recovering from an illness I've suffered for a long time.Its given me time to reflect on where we have come as a people these past 10 years, and myself of course.One of the things I have really come to despise is when people out people for no other reason than to marginalise and cause them grief.There was a time when I would write in this way.I thought it was clever, the person on the receiving end of my vitriolic pen deserving of it.Well it isnt clever - it's mean and small minded.I've seen Maori journalists destroy the livelihoods of other Maori not because the story didnt deserve to be told,but because of the way it was written.Several talented of our people working in TV and Film no longer work in the industry because their personal lives, the way they chose to spend their fees ( as in payment for their services)  was bandied about recklessly in the media.It was about that time that I decided to be very careful about how I wrote other people up.

      Suffice to say, mince meat was made of my own story.Lots of valid things were said which I acknowledge with respect, from David Rankin, Paul Moon , Mike Smith and others who were prepared to front for a documentary about it.Even the Editor of the Herald on Sunday acknowleged error.But not one of the Maori journo's wanted to appear in the doco, neither a regular poster here who for years for reason unbeknown to me posts every negative note to be found on me all over the net.Such a sad life it must be to have nothing better to do.

      Arahi, I am not likening your situation to mine, you feel the way that you do for reasons that are valid.But I do think as we get older there has to be a point other than getting even where we look to the most base of personal incidences as examples to reprimand one of our own.A Politician who post here regularly likened my plight to that of a dog.Needless to say he encountered my most severe indignation.Thats not to say that I dont respect the bigger picture of what he represents - (though I think it will be some time before I will speak to him again) nor should we refrain from being forthright, defiant and forthright about what we believe in.There is a lot of dignity in that.I dont know Heeni at all, or you, neither the pakeha woman in question - but I dont need to.The point here is whether pakeha women should be wearing moko and I think the general consensus is no, neither any of us who isnt deserving.I dont have one, I'd like to though - I havent asked, but oneday I will.Until then, like most of us, I try my best to live a good life with the time I have left.

      Geoffrey - youre too brainy to use words like moooo. You must need a holiday. Come and visit me in Tauranga.Bring the wife and kids.Its still sunny.No cows here (except me maybe!!! hahaha) but there are some good secret spots near Tuhua for fishing - Rosina
      --- In tai-tokerau@yahoogroups.com, "Ana" <browndavis@...> wrote:
      >
      > Man yyo sound like pakeha whose "best friends are Maori" or have sleep
      > with a Maori...so that kinda makes them one? Not. Yo can be married
      > and breed and whatever with a Tongan, Rosina, will never make you one.
      >
      > Tu'ipelehake
      > An insult
      > 13 Jul 2006, 06:00
      >
      > Salt Lake City, Utah, USA:
      >
      > Editor,
      >
      > Ms Rosina Hauiti of N.Z. and David Lloyd of the U.S.A. are apparently
      > not knowledgable about the Kingdom of Tonga, her people, and her culture.
      >
      > While echoing the politically-correct notion that a young girl 18
      > years of age - accused of causing the death of three innocent people -
      > could benefit more and serve the people of Tonga better there, they
      > are in fact insulting my intelligence as a Tongan.
      >
      > What can this young 18-year-old female bring to Tonga? No disrespect
      > to Ms Delgado and her family, but I'm guessing she's barely out of
      > high school.
      >
      > Does Ms Hauiti, and Mr Lloyd, propose that Ms Delgado will be serving
      > as a Peace Corps volunteer? Or, rather, would she become Tonga's first
      > terrorist prisoner?
      >
      > Secondly, it's a sad situation for Ms Delgado who is facing the
      > possibility of losing eight years of her youth to a prison life. What
      > positive experience would she then bring back to the U.S. after
      > serving time in a prison in a foreign land with a foreign culture?
      >
      > Thirdly, it's appalling to suggest that Ms Delgado would learn to
      > appreciate the law more if she is shipped off to Tonga. In contrast,
      > she would have been
      > treated more humanely in the U.S. prison systems with education and
      > rehabilitation, etc.
      >
      > Please note, Tonga is not a penal colony, mind both of you. It is a
      > country of law and order.
      >
      > You painted a life of "hardship" in Tonga if Ms Delgado would be sent
      > there. Obviously, you've been listening often to "the sky is falling"
      > rhetoric of Tongan politicians trumpeted in the news media.
      >
      > Does either of you know of any torture, killing of innocent people,
      > execution of political prisoners, deaths of homeless people recently
      > in Tonga?
      >
      > Tonga may not be a Paradise for your liking, but N.Z. and the U.S. are
      > neither.
      >
      > Sincerely,
      >
      > Sione A. Mokofisi
      >
      > s1mokofisi@
      >
      > http://www.matangitonga.to/article/letterrosinahauiti120706.shtml
      >
      > http://www.matangitonga.to/article/article_print_lettersioneamokofisi130706.shtm\
      > l
      >
      > http://www.matangitonga.to/article/letterrosinahauiti100706.shtml
      >
      >
      >
      >
      >
      > --- In tai-tokerau@yahoogroups.com, "Rosina Hauiti" <rhauiti@> wrote:
      > >
      > >
      > > No Ana, I am Maori through and through - my husband is Tongan.I
      > spend my time between Aotearoa and Tonga. He comes from one of the
      > most impoverished villages there,Nakolo.The children in Nakolo have
      > told me of their dreams for the future, like being Dancers, Nurses,
      > Doctors, Astronauts and so on - but by the time they reach their
      > teenage years, they realise their dreams cannot be realised and their
      > ideal is now to emigrate to NZ.Last Wednesday outside the New Zealand
      > Immigration Service in Nuku'alofa in the scorching sun, were approx
      > 200 people waiting to pick up or lodge applications to come here.Only
      > if you are palangi or high ranking Tongan are you offered a seat in
      > the air-conditioned waiting room.You see NZ in Tonga has adopted the
      > same attitude towards ordinary Tongans as elitist Tongans and that is
      > to mistreat them.I was there trying to get a visitor permit for
      > someone.She had been waiting for 7 weeks, whilst there was evidence of
      > others who had been able to jump queue.Those boys who started the
      > fires come from villages like Nakolo, but they haven't got a hope in
      > hell of getting here because they aren't of the calibre we want.Many
      > Tongan men abandoned their families for NZ, Australia and the
      > US.Remittances back to Tonga are declining, and have only served to
      > act as a type of welfare assistance.It has encouraged many to be less
      > productive compared to years before.Its a very complex situation
      > compounded by an almost feudal system that forever keeps ordinary
      > Tongans impoverished.The taxes are a joke.A 2 litre tub of ice-cream
      > which retails for NZ$2-3 at home is TOP$12-14.00 (NZ ($10.00), a car
      > sells on the yard for TOP$12,000, would sell for a max of NZ$3000 in
      > NZ.Freight is around NZ$1500, so work it out for yourself, a hefty
      > portion is going in taxes and yet the place is still poor.Prior to the
      > riots NZ had approved NZ$14m in aid for education, and other aid to
      > "rehabilitate" the dump site, ie to cover it over - but gave little
      > thought to the families who lived on the site.Not for lack of concern,
      > but because the Tongan Govt didnt want NZ to interfere.Then of course
      > their is Tongasat which Forbes Magazine has conservatively estimated
      > the Princess Pilolevu earns US$25m pa from excess orbital slots she
      > appropriated from the Tongan Govt.
      > >
      > > Its an odd situation because NZ, Australia and the US pick up the
      > tab for the appropriations and excesses of the nobility through
      > foreign aid.Yet there is little physical evidence of where that aid
      > has gone to.One reason I feel they keep at it is because of China's
      > presence.5000 Chinese Nationals are in Tonga, with a very ostentatious
      > embassy on the waterfront.NZ and OZ are less visible preferring to
      > hide their upmarket dwellings in compounds from which access is
      > restricted to ordinary Tongans.
      > >
      > > Badly educated impoverished youth (those I interviewed) dont really
      > understand the issues, all they know is that they are poor and have no
      > future - and angry.Western media are not really interested in
      > explaining the complex issues facing Tonga, but only that there is
      > civil unrest.One of the things I had to learn fast was to listen and
      > not impede on their tino rangatiratanga, to praise their efforts
      > whilst providing assistance to raise the standard in reporting - and
      > only when asked.You can say whatever you like about me - but the facts
      > dont change.We can sit at a distance and think ourselves clever for
      > running off there for the shortest time.What Tonga needs is long term
      > commitment and understanding.For instance, how do you propose those
      > young men who started the riots can progress from here? Is the likes
      > of Indymedia, TVNZ and TV3 going to get involved in ensuring these
      > people can move forward in to a better future.No, they wont.They think
      > they have done a marvellous job of exposing the festering boil.Then
      > leave them to sort out their own mess.Why not leave something of value
      > behind once they have got their story for the day?Everyone in the
      > industry knows TV Tonga struggles with resources and trained
      > journalists.They are cramped in to small spaces with basic equipment,
      > in a building that has not been maintained since it was built in the
      > early 60's.Tongans I spoke with both the public and journos from TV
      > Tonga resent the way NZ media has reported on their problems simply
      > because they never give the full story and worse, are not
      > interested.Its nothing different to what we experienced prior to Maori
      > Television and Iwi radio.
      > >
      > > And so on and so on.One thing you need to learn Ana, is quit being
      > personal when faced with opposing view.That's a colonialist
      > tactic.Keep to the topic matter and that is the reporting of Tonga's
      > woes to the world.Just because Indymedia are made up of good hearted
      > people fighting human rights abuses doesn't mean they have got it right.
      > > If you have something to say of the issues, something considered and
      > substantial then by all means lets see it.
      > >
      > > Rosina Hauiti
      > >   ----- Original Message -----
      > >   From: Ana
      > >   To: tai-tokerau@yahoogroups.com
      > >   Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 4:41 PM
      > >   Subject: [tai-tokerau] Re: Fwd: Tonga Talk/Photos/Film: 17
      > December at 128 Abel Smith st
      > >
      > >
      > >   are you Tongan? You sound just like any other voyeuristic self
      > >   promoting journalist.
      > >
      > >   ---
      =============

      Rosina Hauiti <roosterx@...> wrote:
      Kia ora Arahi,

      With all due to respect to you and your taake, to your whakapap, your tau iwi whakapapa and what you stand for.I'm recovering from an illness I've suffered for a long time.Its given me time to reflect on where we have come as a people these past 10 years, and myself of course.One of the things I have really come to despise is when people out people for no other reason than to marginalise and cause them grief.There was a time when I would write in this way.I thought it was clever, the person on the receiving end of my vitriolic pen deserving of it.Well it isnt clever - it's mean and small minded.I've seen Maori journalists destroy the livelihoods of other Maori not because the story didnt deserve to be told,but because of the way it was written.Several talented of our people working in TV and Film no longer work in the industry because their personal lives, the way they chose to spend their fees ( as in payment for their services) was bandied about recklessly in the media.It was about that time that I decided to be very careful about how I wrote other people up.

      Suffice to say, mince meat was made of my own story.Lots of valid things were said which I acknowledge with respect, from David Rankin, Paul Moon , Mike Smith and others who were prepared to front for a documentary about it.Even the Editor of the Herald on Sunday acknowleged error.But not one of the Maori journo's wanted to appear in the doco, neither a regular poster here who for years for reason unbeknown to me posts every negative note to be found on me all over the net.Such a sad life it must be to have nothing better to do.

      Arahi, I am not likening your situation to mine, you feel the way that you do for reasons that are valid.But I do think as we get older there has to be a point other than getting even where we look to the most base of personal incidences as examples to reprimand one of our own.A Politician who post here regularly likened my plight to that of a dog.Needless to say he encountered my most severe indignation. Thats not to say that I dont respect the bigger picture of what he represents - (though I think it will be some time before I will speak to him again) nor should we refrain from being forthright, defiant and forthright about what we believe in.There is a lot of dignity in that.I dont know Heeni at all, or you, neither the pakeha woman in question - but I dont need to.The point here is whether pakeha women should be wearing moko and I think the general consensus is no, neither any of us who isnt deserving.I dont have one, I'd like to though - I havent asked, but oneday I will.Until then, like most of us, I try my best to live a good life with the time I have left.

      Geoffrey - youre too brainy to use words like moooo. You must need a holiday. Come and visit me in Tauranga.Bring the wife and kids.Its still sunny.No cows here (except me maybe!!! hahaha) but there are some good secret spots near Tuhua for fishing - Rosina

      .




      First they came for the communists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a communist; then they came for the socialists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a socialist; then they came for the trade unionists, and I did not speak out - because I was not a trade unionist; then they came for the Jews, and I did not speak out- because I was not a Jew. Then they came for me - and there was no one left to speak out for me. - Pastor Martin Niemöller

      Send instant messages to your online friends http://au.messenger.yahoo.com

    • maraki_tanga
      Phony indigenous film maker kept threatening with the police, cultivated our known associates, to get our contact details and addresses, just to further her
      Message 2 of 2 , Jun 3 11:55 PM
        Phony indigenous film maker

        "kept threatening with the police, cultivated our known associates, to get our
        contact details and addresses, just to further her increasingly aggressive and
        bullying harassments."

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tino-rangatiratanga/message/27559 `

        --- In tino-rangatiratanga@yahoogroups.com, "Rosina Hauiti - Fonua"
        <rhauiti@...> wrote:
        >
        >
        >
        > ----- Original Message -----
        > From: Rosina Hauiti - Fonua
        > To: jankaraka@... ; tepaatu@...
        > Cc: tai-tokerau@yahoogroups.com ; tino-rangatiratanga@... ; audrey keesing
        > Sent: Sunday, April 29, 2007 1:54 PM
        > Subject: Jan Karaka
        >
        >
        > Jan,
        >
        > I am taking the unusual psoition of writing you care of the groups we are
        members of.In years past you have taken issue with comments I have made.I cant
        actually recall the instances or topic matters I have caused you offence, but I
        know I have apologised several times.Many many years have past since comments
        passed between us and I cant imagine that I can be the cause of so much anguish
        for you that you would post my every comment on internet sites for all and
        sundry to peruse.I cant imagine that anyone would be remotely interested in what
        I have to say to you anyway.
        >
        > You posted a comments from the Matangi Tonga site that showed me as having
        caused an affront to SOME Tongan people, but yuu failed to show my response.I
        wrote to you and offere once again my apologies and invited you to meet with
        me.That gesture was met with a DONT CONTACT ME response, which I respected.Thats
        fine, but you then posted it to the TR site.That was a personal communication
        and one offered in a gesture of goodwill.
        >
        > Jan, I want you to stop with the victimisation thing, do some straight talking
        and tell me whats up.If I can fix it, I will, if I cant then I cant, and all I
        can do is keep apologising.
        >
        > I'm no going to carry out an ongoing exchange here, I just think that as
        people who want the same outcome, we have to stop this kind of
        rubbish.Discrediting me isnt going to work, because though I have had some rough
        years its going to take more than your efforts to keep me down.So what do you
        you say sister?? How about letting me fix up the wrong or let it go - Cheers,
        >
        > Rosina
        >




        "Hauiti pretended to be THE expert on the Macsyna King case on the Breaking
        Silence the Macsyna King facebook group. (However that was eventually closed by
        the Police because of the violence written on the page). Rosina thought to
        comment about the book and try to establish herself as THE authority, but
        everyone could see, Rosina had never actually read the book. Rosina claimed that
        she had interacted with the author, Ian Wishart. Yet Hauiti is anti-Macsyna King
        and anti- Ian Wishart. Ian commented and called her out as a liar. Of course
        Rosina denied everything and made out the person writing as Ian Wishart was an
        imposter. (It was the real author). Ian Wishart telephoned her place of
        employment but she wouldn't answer the call. Cowardly pathological liar. Rosina
        deleted that thread on the Macsyna King page to remove evidence of her
        dishonestly. Then as per her usual modus operandi, Rosina claimed she was being
        cyberbullied, she was the victim and so threatened to notify the authorities.
        Another responded to her threat and called her bluff. He said to her "go on call
        them. Ask to speak to Viktor." She left the group! "

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/worlds-indigenous-people/message/8820

        "full of it" http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tino-rangatiratanga/message/23356


        Unbalanced? http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Maori_talk/message/1716

        caught out being dishonest http://groups.yahoo.com/group/I_P_I/message/19446

        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tino-rangatiratanga/message/13659


        http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tino-rangatiratanga/message/12162



        dishonest. http://groups.yahoo.com/group/tino-rangatiratanga/message/27550
      Your message has been successfully submitted and would be delivered to recipients shortly.