Purdue plans to promote diversity, open new cultural center

  • Kapoonis1959@aol.com
    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 26, 2007
      Purdue plans to promote diversity, open new cultural center
      By Lindsay Warner
      Feb. 26, 2007

      Purdue Provost Sally Mason described Mosaic, her diversity initiative, and announced plans to open a new cultural center in her speech Friday.

      "It is multi-faceted and focused on inclusion and equity for all," Mason said. "We are making our campus a place where diversity is truly celebrated as a source of strength and a fountain of knowledge."

      One way Purdue will expand its cultural diversity will be by opening a new facility.

      "We will very soon launch Purdue's Native American Cultural Center," said Mason. "It is now time for us to take the next great step to show Native Americans they are welcome, they are wanted and they are needed in the Purdue community and family."

      In addition to the new center, Mason announced two new appointments.

      Dorothy Reed, one of Purdue's former directors of minority affairs in the College of Science, and Pamella P. Dale Shaw, a Purdue alumna, will fill two assistant provost positions.

      "Both of these very talented women have a long history and track record of working with students of all groups, and especially those from minority groups," Mason said.

      Joe Bennett, vice president for University Relations, said the positions will help to recruit and retain people who will contribute to Purdue's diversity.

      "(The positions will help) make sure we have active and vital programs that promote diversity," he said.

      Reed will set an agenda for Purdue's academic diversity plan and oversee Purdue's ethnic cultural centers.

      "I look forward to making Purdue a more welcoming and inclusive place for all students, faculty and staff," Reed said. "We plan on doing more outreach to the community."

      Shaw will continue work on programs including the Louis Stokes Alliance for Minority Participation for Indiana and the Midwest Crossroads Alliance for Graduate Education and the Professoriate.

      Shaw, who grew up in Gary, Ind., said she will enjoy being at Purdue.

      "It's like coming home."