Fwd: Ayn Rand Institute: No Apology to Indians

  • smee
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 1, 2005
      Fwd: Ayn Rand Institute: No Apology to Indians

      can you believe this?!?!

      FYI.

                                 After reading this opinion & if you wish to reply, there is a form with a link to do so.

                                  This was forwarded by Sarah Hayes:

                                  http://www.aynrand.org/site/News2?JServSessionIdr005=0076dzspb1.app7a&page=NewsArticle&id=11163&news_iv_ctrl=1223

                                 ARI Letters to the Editor

      No Apology to Indians
      Monday, June 27, 2005
      By: Thomas Bowden
      Dear Editor:

      The Senate Committee on Indian Affairs is debating whether the United States should formally apologize to Indians for a "long history of official depredations and ill-conceived policies." This proposal should be rejected.

      Before Europeans arrived, the scattered tribes occupying North America lived in abject poverty, ignorance, and superstition--not due to any racial inferiority, but because that is how all mankind starts out (Europeans included). The transfer of Western civilization to this continent was one of the great cultural gifts in recorded history, affording Indians almost effortless access to centuries of European accomplishments in philosophy, science, technology, and government. As a result, today's Indians enjoy a capacity for generating health, wealth, and happiness that their Stone Age ancestors could never have conceived.

      From a historical perspective, the proper response to such a gift is not resentment but gratitude. America's policies toward the Indians were generally benign, aimed at protecting them from undeserved harm while providing significant material support and encouragement to become civilized. When those policies erred, it was usually by treating Indians collectively, as "nations" entitled to permanent occupancy of semi-sovereign reservations. Instead, Indians should have been treated as individuals deserving full and equal American citizenship in exchange for embracing individual rights, including private ownership of land.

      If the United States government were demanding that Indians apologize for the frontier terrorism of their ancestors, as if living members of a particular race could be guilty of their forebears' misdeeds, the demand would (properly) be rejected as racist. For the same reason, American Indians should refuse to be regarded as a race of helpless victims entitled to a collective apology from their fellow citizens.

      Thomas A. Bowden
      Ayn Rand Institute

          http://www.aynrand.org/site/PageServer?pagename=media_contact_us

             Contact ARI Media

      We are interested in your feedback. The form below is specifically for contacting ARI's media department with comments, questions, or to request reprint permission. For questions about Ayn Rand, ARI, the Web site in general, etc., please see our FAQ and the form there. Due to the high volume of email received, we cannot guarantee a reply.

      All contact information submitted to this site will remain confidential. It will not be sold or given to any other organization. Some comments may be showcased on this Web site and distributed to newspaper editors as evidence of reaction to our op-eds, but these will be stripped of their addresses. [Privacy Policy]

      Required fields are indicated by an asterisk (*).

       1.

      Personal Information

      *

      Name:

      Title

      First Name

      Last Name

      Mr.

      Ms.

      Mrs.

      Miss

      Dr.

      *

      Email:

       Yes, I would like to receive e-mail from The Ayn Rand Institute

      *2.

      Comments: