Re: White Man Claims He's Indigenous

  • jankaraka@yahoo.co.nz
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 1, 2004
      Re: White Man Claims He's Indigenous Would the true natives please stand up.

      Manuwai Heihei <manuwai_heihei@...> wrote:

      30 July 2004 By NICK VENTER

      Race Relations Minister Trevor Mallard has been
      advised to "read the Treaty" by Maori colleague Dover
      Samuels after saying it does not confer special rights
      on Maori.

      Mr Mallard made the claim in the speech in which he
      described himself as an indigenous New Zealander.

      "There is a myth that the Treaty gave Maori extra
      rights over and above those of other New Zealanders,"
      he said. "Maori have no extra rights or
      privileges under the Treaty or in the policy of the
      New Zealand Government."

      Mr Samuels laughed at Mr Mallard's description of
      himself as an indigenous New Zealander but said he was
      surprised by his comments about the Treaty.

      "I think perhaps my colleague should go and read the
      words of the Treaty. Quite clearly there is a spirit
      in there that acknowledges the custom and
      the position of tangata whenua in New Zealand."

      Maori Affairs Minister Parekura Horomia said Mr
      Mallard was indigenous "to the extent that he was born
      in New Zealand, but he will never be tangata
      whenua because there is only one tangata whenua and
      that's Maori".

      He did not agree with Mr Mallard's view of the Treaty.

      Associate Maori Affairs Minister John Tamihere also
      questioned Mr Mallard's Treaty comments, saying: "It
      might not confer special rights but it definitely confers
      rights which are different to others. We have spent 20
      years discussing that in our jurisprudence."

      It was now up to Mr Mallard to back up his claims, he
      said.

      Maori Party leader, and former Labour colleague,
      Tariana Turia said Mr Mallard was trying to dissociate
      Labour from its previous policies. However, she said
      he could qualify as an indigenous New Zealander by
      dint of his ancestry.

      "When I first came into Parliament he did tell me that
      he had whakapapa," she said.

      She said Mr Mallard was trying to create a perception
      the Government had never based policy and programmes
      on race, but it had.

      Closing the Gaps, which came out of a Te Puni Kokiri
      report, had been an attempt to address Maori
      disadvantage.

      "I have never had any difficulty with people who are
      generationally from here saying they are native to New
      Zealand," she said. "I accept that, but whether
      they are indigenous, I question that, because they
      are not."

      Mr Mallard said he was not Maori.

      "Tariana and I did have a discussion about whakapapa.
      I think she is slightly confused because we were
      discussing my kids and their ability to speak Maori."

      http://www.kiwiblog.co.nz/archives/007163.html

      ab·o·rig·i·nal (a<breve>b'?-ri<breve>j'?-n?l)
      adj.

      1.    Having existed in a region from the beginning:
      aboriginal forests. See synonyms at native.
      2.
      a.    Of or relating to aborigines.
      b.    often Aboriginal Of or relating to the indigenous
      peoples of Australia.
      n.

      also Aboriginal An aborigine.
      ab'o·rig'i·nal·ly adv.

      in·dig·e·nous (i<breve>n-di<breve>j'?-n?s)
      adj.

      1.    Originating and living or occurring naturally in
      an area or environment. See synonyms at native.

      na·tive (na¯'ti<breve>v)
      adj.

      1.    Existing in or belonging to one by nature;
      innate: native ability.
      2.    Being such by birth or origin: a native Scot.
      3.    Being one's own because of the place or
      circumstances of one's birth: our native land.
      4.    Originating, growing, or produced in a certain
      place or region; indigenous: a plant native to Asia.
      5.
      a.    Being a member of the original inhabitants of a
      particular place.
      b.    Of, belonging to, or characteristic of such
      inhabitants: native dress; the native diet of
      Polynesia.
      6.    Occurring in nature pure or uncombined with
      other substances: native copper.
      7.    Natural; unaffected: native beauty.
      8.    Archaic. Closely related, as by birth or race.
      9.    Biochemistry. Of or relating to the naturally
      occurring conformation of a macromolecule, such as a
      protein.
      n.

      1.
      a.    One born in or connected with a place by birth:
      a native of Scotland now living in the United States.
      b.    One of the original inhabitants or lifelong
      residents of a place.
      2.    An animal or plant that originated in a
      particular place or region.

      [Middle English, from Old French natif, from Latin
      na¯ti¯vus, from na¯tus, past participle of na¯sci¯, to
      be born.]
      na'tive·ly adv.
      na'tive·ness n.

      SYNONYMS  native, indigenous, endemic, autochthonous,
      aboriginal. These adjectives mean of, belonging to, or
      connected with a specific place or country by virtue
      of birth or origin. Native implies birth or origin in
      the specified place: a native New Yorker; the native
      North American sugar maple.
      Indigenous specifies that something or someone is
      native rather than coming or being brought in from
      elsewhere: an indigenous crop; the Ainu, a people
      indigenous to the northernmost islands of Japan.
      Something endemic is prevalent in or peculiar to a
      particular locality or people: endemic
      disease. Autochthonous applies to what is native and
      unchanged by outside sources: autochthonous folk
      melodies. Aboriginal describes what has existed from
      the beginning; it is often applied to the earliest
      known inhabitants of
      a place: the aboriginal population; aboriginal nature.
      See also synonyms at
      crude.

      USAGE NOTE   When used in reference to a member of an
      indigenous people, the noun native, like its synonym
      aborigine, can evoke unwelcome stereotypes of
      primitiveness or cultural backwardness that many
      people now seek to avoid. As is often the case with
      words that categorize people, the use of the noun is
      more problematic than the use of the corresponding
      adjective. Thus a phrase such as the peoples native to
      northern Europe or the aboriginal
      inhabitants of the South Pacific is generally much
      preferable to the natives of northern Europe or the
      aborigines of the South Pacific.€Despite its
      potentially negative connotations, native is enjoying
      increasing popularity in ethnonyms such as native
      Australian and Alaska Native, perhaps due to the
      wide acceptance of Native American as a term of ethnic
      pride and respect. These compounds have the further
      benefit of being equally acceptable when used alone as
      nouns (a native Australian) or in an adjectival
      construction (a member of a native Australian people).
      Of terms formed on this model,
      those referring to peoples indigenous to the United
      States generally capitalize native, as in Alaska
      Native (or the less common Native Alaskan) and Native
      Hawaiian, while others usually style it lowercase.

      2.    Intrinsic; innate.

      [From Latin indigena, a native. See indigen.]
      also in·di·gene (-j?n, -je¯n')
      n.

      One that is native or indigenous to an area.

      [French indigène, native, a native, from Latin
      indigena.]

      in·dig'e·nous·ly adv.
      in·dig'e·nous·ness n.

      The American Heritage® Dictionary of the English
      Language, Fourth Edition Copyright © 2003 by Houghton
      Mifflin Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin
      Company. All rights reserved.