26729[WGAR-news] Protect Arnhem Land Campaign: Respect and Listen [Northern Territory - NT, Australia]

  • WGAR News
    Jul 24, 2013
      Protect Arnhem Land Campaign:
      Respect and Listen
      [Northern Territory - NT, Australia]

      Newsletter date: 25 July 2013

      This newsletter: http://indymedia.org.au/2013/07/24/wgar-news-protect-arnhem-land-campaign-respect-and-listen-northern-territory-nt-australia

      Contents:

      * Respect and Listen: Protect Arnhem Land Campaign
      * Respect and Listen: Protect Arnhem Land - Sydney 18 & 19 July 2013 Event Compilation
      * Protect Arnhem Land community group: Traditional owners accost oil company offices [19 July 2013]
      * Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Celebrate the Kimberley - Protect Arnhem Land [18 July 2013]
      * Green Left TV, YouTube: Protect Arnhem land! [Sydney 19 July 2013]
      * Respect and Listen, Vimeo: Protect Arnhem Land - Protest Action at Paltar HQ, Sydney [Uncut version, 19 July 2013]
      * Ryan Liddle, NITV News: Traditional owners protest off-shore drilling plans [19 July 2013]
      * ABC 7pm TV News NT: Traditional owners decry Arnhem Land fracking plan [19 July 2013]
      * ABC Radio National - Breakfast: New landmark fight over offshore mining in Arnhem Land [19 July 2013]
      * Jim McIlroy, Green Left: Arnhem Land people 'don't want fracking' [19 July 2013]
      * Facebook: Protect Arnhem Land

      * RESPECT AND LISTEN:
      PROTECT ARNHEM LAND CAMPAIGN

      - Campaign

      Respect and Listen: Protect Arnhem Land
      http://www.respectandlisten.org/arnhem-land/protect-arnhem-land.html
      "PROTECT ARNHEM LAND is a campaign to fight offshore
      exploration, mining and drilling around the ENTIRE COASTLINE
      OF AUSTRALIAS NORTHERN TERRITORY ARNHEM LAND REGION."

      * RESPECT AND LISTEN:
      PROTECT ARNHEM LAND
      - SYDNEY 18 & 19 JULY 2013 EVENT COMPILATION

      - Event Compilation

      Respect and Listen: Protect Arnhem Land: Sydney 2013
      http://www.respectandlisten.org/arnhem-land/protect-arnhem-land/sydney-2013.html
      "18 and 19 July 2013: ...
      Arnhem Land Traditional Owners in Sydney - July 17-19th
      Protest Action at Paltar HQ 12pm July 19 +
      Kimberley Celebration Presentation"
      "5 Amazing Traditional Owners from Arnhem Land are coming
      to Sydney to raise awareness and garner support on their
      mission to stop Paltar Petroleum from drilling in their sea
      country, just off the coast of the Northern Territory.
      We’re lucky to have them at speak at the Kimberley
      celebration on the 18th, and then on the Friday afterwards,
      we’ll be gathering outside Paltar HQ in Martin Place
      sending the message that the Wilderness Society supports
      the TOs, rejects Paltar’s attempts to drill offshore and
      get media attention on the issue."

      The following link includes event details, related articles, photos, videos, and audio:
      http://www.respectandlisten.org/arnhem-land/protect-arnhem-land/sydney-2013.html

      * PROTECT ARNHEM LAND COMMUNITY GROUP:
      TRADITIONAL OWNERS ACCOST OIL COMPANY OFFICES
      [19 JULY 2013]

      - Statement

      Traditional owners accost oil company offices
      Green Left: http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/54569
      20 Jul 13: "This statement was released on July 19 by the
      Protect Arnhem Land community group, based in Maningrida,
      Northern Territory; The Wilderness Society;
      the Environment Centre NT; and the
      Australian Marine Conservation Society
      . ***
      Arnhem Land traditional owners have forced US oil and gas
      company Paltar to meet with them by travelling to the
      firm’s Australian headquarters in Sydney.
      Paltar had steadfastly refused to talk to the traditional
      owners about its near-shore drilling plans that threaten
      their food, water and culture.
      The firm then agreed to a meeting only after the
      traditional owners said they were coming to Sydney. After
      media inquiries about the Sydney visit, the company then
      issued a press statement saying they would consult with
      traditional owners.
      The traditional owners asked Paltar to be good corporate
      citizens and withdraw the permit applications.
      The traditional owners are putting together a bark
      petition to oppose the drilling - just as Arnhem Land
      traditional owners from Yirrkala did 50 years ago to
      oppose a mining development and start the land rights
      movement. ... "

      * RESPECT AND LISTEN, VIMEO:
      CELEBRATE THE KIMBERLEY - PROTECT ARNHEM LAND
      [18 JULY 2013]

      - Video

      Respect and Listen, Vimeo:
      Celebrate the Kimberley - Protect Arnhem Land

      http://vimeo.com/70781129
      23 Jul 13: "Hear from Traditional Owners from Arnhem Land
      which came to Sydney to raise awareness and garner support
      on their mission to stop Paltar Petroleum from drilling in
      their sea country, just off the coast of the Northern
      Territory. ... This video shows a part of the event
      "Celebrate the Kimberley" - July 18th, 6.30pm @ GT Hotel
      (Previously the Gaelic Club), Sydney. Organised by the
      Wilderness society ... The travel of the traditional owners
      was made possible with assistance of the The Wilderness
      Society and Australian Martine Conservation Society.
      Speaker: Eddie Mason and Mrs. Eather"

      * GREEN LEFT TV, YOUTUBE:
      PROTECT ARNHEM LAND!
      [SYDNEY 19 JULY 2013]

      - Video

      Green Left TV, YouTube: Protect Arnhem land!
      http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=QV3LQT5vglU
      "Senior Eddie Mason from Maningrida: "We came all the way
      from Arnhem land to tell this Palter Petroleum that we
      don't want oil and gas mining in our land... We are
      protecting it for the new generation. You are welcome to
      visit our country but not to destroy it."
      July 19, outside Palter Petroleum offices, Martin Place, Sydney."

      * RESPECT AND LISTEN, VIMEO:
      PROTECT ARNHEM LAND
      - PROTEST ACTION AT PALTAR HQ, SYDNEY
      [UNCUT VERSION, 19 JULY 2013]

      - Video

      Respect and Listen, Vimeo:
      Protect Arnhem Land - Protest Action at Paltar HQ, Sydney

      http://vimeo.com/70858809
      24 Jul 13: "Five traditional owners traveled from
      Maningrida to Sydney and held a public event in Martin
      Place outside the offices of Paltar Petroleum at midday on
      Friday 19 July. They raised awareness and garner support
      on their mission to stop Paltar Petroleum from drilling in
      their sea country, just off the coast of the Northern
      Territory. ...
      Speaker: Eddie Mason (Traditional Owner), Gavan McFadzean (Wilderness Society), Stuart Blanch (Environment Centre NT) and Mrs. Eather (Traditional Owner).
      The travel of the traditional owners was made possible with assistance of the The Wilderness Society and Australian Martine Conservation Society."

      * RYAN LIDDLE, NITV NEWS:
      TRADITIONAL OWNERS PROTEST OFF-SHORE DRILLING PLANS

      - Video

      SBS World News:
      Traditional owners protest off-shore drilling plans
      Source: Ryan Liddle, NITV News

      http://www.sbs.com.au/news/article/1790772/Traditional-owners-protest-off-shore-drilling-plan
      19 Jul 13: "Traditional owners from the far north-east of
      the Northern Territory have travelled to Sydney to confront
      an American Gas company over off-shore drilling plans.
      Local traditional owner groups have travelled from
      Maningrida to Sydney to meet representatives of Paltar
      Petroleum to express their concerns over off-shore
      drilling plans. "If you come and drill in my country...
      I will, lose my identity, I will be a nobody," says
      traditional owner Eddie Mason. "With what I got at home,
      that gives me identification, that gives me, to be
      somebody. But if the oil comes in, you will destroy
      everything that I believe in.""

      * ABC 7PM TV NEWS NT:
      TRADITIONAL OWNERS DECRY ARNHEM LAND FRACKING PLAN

      - Video

      ABC News: Traditional owners decry Arnhem Land fracking plan
      Source: 7pm TV News NT

      http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-07-19/traditional-owners-decry-arnhem-land-fracking-plan/4832206
      19 Jul 13: "Traditional owners from Arnhem Land have
      travelled south to protest against plans to explore for gas
      and oil on their country. Jane Bardon"

      * ABC RADIO NATIONAL - BREAKFAST:
      NEW LANDMARK FIGHT OVER OFFSHORE MINING IN ARNHEM LAND

      - Audio

      ABC Radio National - Breakfast:
      New landmark fight over offshore mining in Arnhem Land

      Presented by Fran Kelly
      Reporter, Gregg Borschmann, Environment Editor

      http://www.abc.net.au/radionational/programs/breakfast/new-landmark-fight-over-offshore-mining-in-arnhem-land/4830214
      19 Jul 13: "Fifty years after the Yirrkala bark petition in
      the Top End of the Northern Territory started the land
      rights movement, Traditional Owners from Arnhem Land have
      started another landmark fight over mining, this time
      challenging a string of offshore petroleum permits
      applications along the Arnhem Land coast.
      Guests:
      * Eddie Mason, Senior traditional owner for saltwater country
      between Maningrida and Ramingining in north Arnhem Land.
      * Alice Eather, Teacher in Maningrida from the
      Kunibidji clan of the Dukurrji people"

      - Related Audio

      National Indigenous Radio Service:
      Protest against Arnhem Land gas exploration

      http://www.nirs.org.au/blog/NEWS/article/29604/Protest-against-Arnhem-Land-gas-exploration.html
      19 Jul 13: "By Warren Barnsley: A protest is being held in
      Sydney today against the threat of oil and gas exploration
      on West Arnhem Land in the Northern Territory. Five
      traditional owners have made the trip down and are rallying
      outside the offices of exploration company Paltar
      Petroleum."

      * JIM MCILLROY, GREEN LEFT:
      ARNHEM LAND PEOPLE 'DON'T WANT FRACKING'

      - Analysis / Opinion

      Green Left: Arnhem Land people 'don't want fracking'
      http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/54566
      20 Jul 13: ""We don't want oil or gas mining in our
      country," Aboriginal traditional owner Eddie Mason, based
      in Maningrida, a community in eastern Arnhem Land, told a
      rally in Sydney on July 19. "We are protecting our land and
      sea rights." About 100 people rallied with visiting Arnhem
      Land residents outside the offices of US-based oil
      exploration company Paltar Petroleum. "We are saying no to
      Paltar," Mason said. "We don't want exploration destroying
      our land and waters. You are welcome to visit our country,
      but don't destroy it. ... "" By Jim McIlroy, GLW author

      - Related News

      Green Left: Traditional owners bringing gas protest to Sydney
      http://www.greenleft.org.au/node/54497
      13 Jul 13: "Aboriginal traditional owners and the Protect
      Arnhem Land community campaign, based in the town of
      Maningrida, Northern Territory, are seeking the assistance
      of environment groups and Indigenous networks in Sydney to
      help raise awareness of the threat to Arnhem Land from oil
      and gas exploration. Five traditional owners are travelling
      from Maningrida to Sydney in mid-July and are holding a
      public protest in Martin Place outside the offices of
      exploration company Paltar Petroleum. The Environment
      Centre NT said: "Arnhem Land is under threat from fossil
      fuel companies and need your help. ... "
      By Jim McIlroy, GLW author

      The Australian: Aboriginal-green link to fight gas projects
      http://www.theaustralian.com.au/national-affairs/indigenous/aboriginal-green-link-to-fight-gas-projects/story-fn9hm1pm-1226681650900
      19 Jul 13: "ENVIRONMENTAL groups are seeking to capitalise
      on the beauty of Arnhem Land and the plight of its
      indigenous people to build support for campaigns against
      resource development and a northern food bowl. But the
      Northern Territory government has accused them of trying to
      stir up community anger in a bid to block development."
      Amos Aikman

      * FACEBOOK:
      PROTECT ARNHEM LAND

      - Updates

      Facebook: Protect Arnhem Land
      https://www.facebook.com/ProtectArnhemLandNT
      https://www.facebook.com/ProtectArnhemLandNT/info
      "About: PROTECT ARNHEM LAND is a campaign to fight offshore
      exploration, mining and drilling around the ENTIRE
      COASTLINE OF AUSTRALIAS NORTHERN TERRITORY ARNHEM LAND
      REGION.
      northern region of the Australian Northern Territory. It is
      home to the oldest living culture of Indigenous peoples
      existing on the Planet today. The last remaining existence
      of this ancient, traditional culture and it's practises is
      under threat. ... "

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)

      About WGAR News:

      http://indymedia.org.au/2012/04/30/about-wgar-news-working-group-for-aboriginal-rights-australia

      Subscription to 'WGAR News' is free.

      'WGAR News' monitors the media, including alternative media, focusing on:

      * the Australian Federal government intervention into Northern Territory (NT) Aboriginal communities;
      * the Aboriginal sovereignty movement and the Aboriginal tent embassies;
      * Justice Reinvestment, Aboriginal imprisonment and Aboriginal Deaths in Custody;
      * Aboriginal land rights and mining;
      * Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health and wellbeing;
      * other Aboriginal rights issues; and
      * upcoming Aboriginal rights events around Australia.

      'WGAR News' publishes information and opinions from a wide range of sources.
      These opinions expressed are not necessarily the opinions of WGAR.

      The e-newsletters include media releases, opinion pieces, news items, audio, videos and events.

      Subscribers can expect to receive about 6 e-newsletters each week.

      Sample WGAR News e-newsletters:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-sample-wgar-news-e-newsletters

      - - -

      WGAR events postings:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-events-postings

      WGAR background info web-pages:
      http://indymedia.org.au/2013/01/03/about-wgar-news-wgar-background-info-web-pages

      - - -

      You can also subscribe to our second list 'Contact WGAR' which provides a point of contact.

      - - -

      WGAR: Working Group for Aboriginal Rights (Australia)