UCC Coalition: Called to Serve in Leadership?

  • David Lohman
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2010

      God's Extravagant Welcome
      The UCC Coalition for LGBT Concerns

      2592 West 14th Street, Cleveland, OH 44113
      1-800-653-0799 tel; 216-861-0779 tel;
      216-861-0782 fax

      Link to The
      UCC Coalition Website:

      ONA Program

      YYA Program

      Field Organizing

      Newsletters

      Events

      News

      Your financial support of The Coalition is vitally important. Please give today!

      Donation Options

      Send your check or pledge payment now

      Give on-line through Network for Good

      Donate an unwanted vehicle

      Setup an automatic electronic transfer

      For more info, visit the donations page on our website.

      Find Us on Facebook

      Called to Serve in Leadership?

      Brothers and Sisters,

      We write to ask you to help us identify individuals who might be called to serve in leadership in both the national setting of the United Church of Christ and the UCC Coalition for LGBT Concerns.

      We need gifted, active, passionate leaders who can represent the voices of LGBT persons and who have the time and energy to make a strong contribution at a critical time in the life of our church.

      Nominees are sought for the following four leadership positions:

      • One position on the Executive Council of the General Synod of the UCC
      • One position on the Board of Directors of UCC Justice and Witness Ministries
      • Two positions on the Board of Directors of the UCC Coalition for LGBT Concerns

      Please consider volunteering yourself or nominating someone you know who might be able to provide the leadership and vision we need for these roles.

      The National UCC Positions

      For the national UCC positions, we have been asked to recommend persons who can represent diverse voices in the LGBT population, considered an Historically Underrepresented Group by the UCC. The General Synod Nominating Committee will make the final selections.

      The Executive Council of the General Synod is a key leadership group which acts on behalf of the General Synod when it is not in session. The term of service is six years and will begin in the summer of 2011. We thank Barbara Satin, who is finishing her term as UCC Coalition representative on this council.

      Justice and Witness Ministries is one of four covenanted ministries of the UCC, and helps local congregations and all settings of the church respond to God's commandments to do justice, seek peace and effect change for a better world, guided by the pronouncements and resolutions approved by the UCC at General Synod. The term of service is six years and will begin in the summer of 2011. We thank James Darnell, who is finishing his term as UCC Coalition representative on this board.

      (Back to top)

      The UCC Coalition Positions

      The Board of Directors of the UCC Coalition needs active, committed members to provide dynamic leadership in this time of transition and renewal. The two vacant UCC Coalition board positions have previously been filled by Monica Cross and Beau Heyen who are unable to finish out their terms for personal reasons. We thank them for their service.

      All UCC Coalition board members attend three face-to-face meetings each year: one in late winter or early spring, one at National Gathering in mid-year, and one in the autumn. Board members are also expected to attend all telephone conference board meetings, held once or twice each month, as needed. This is a working board, not merely administrative, and all members serve on multiple committees of the Coalition as well as on the board.

      The Coalition Board will appoint replacements based on recommendations by the UCC Coalition Nominating Committee. These persons will serve from the time of appointment until the summer of 2011 at which point they may be elected for a full two-year term.

      (Back to top)

      Submitting Nominations

      If nominating yourself, you may complete the online nomination form at www.ucccoalition.org/about/board/nomination/. Please indicate the position(s) for which you wish to be considered.

      If nominating someone else, please send names and a brief statement of recommendation to the Chair of the UCC Coalition Nominating Committee, Ammon Ripple, at aripple@.... If these persons accept the nomination(s), they will be asked to complete the nomination form.

      To ensure consideration, please submit nominations by Monday, October 18, 2010, at which point the committee will begin to review nominations. Nominations can still be made after that date.

      Please consider carefully these opportunities to provide the ministry of leadership to our church and respond to how the Spirit might be calling you to serve or to recommend someone else to serve. And your prayers for wisdom and discernment in this process are very welcome!

      With gratitude on behalf of the Nominating Committee,

      Ammon Ripple

      UCC Coalition Nominating Committee, 2010-11

      Theo Baldwin
      Amy Cobbs
      Kelly Forbush
      Sue Jelinek
      Ammon Ripple, Chair
      Grant Sontag

      Board Liaison: Marc Blakesley

      (Back to top)

      office@...

      You have received this newsletter because you have indicated a willingness to have email contact with The UCC Coalition.

      You are invited to send this newsletter to others and encourage them to subscribe.

      If you would like to receive WAVES, the newsletter of The Coalition, please send an email to office@.... You may also receive WAVES electronically. Please let the office know if you would like to receive it via PDF rather than by post. Thank you.

      Click here to send this to a friend

      Click here to subscribe
      You are subscribed as david@.... To unsubscribe please click here.