Moderator of Metropolitan Community Churches Calls for Vigilant Prayer in the Aftermath of Chilean Earthquake

  • David Lohman
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 1 11:12 AM

      MCC Logo

      Tearing Down Walls.
       Building Up Hope.
      From the Office of the Moderator

      Metropolitan Community Churches

      For Immediate Release: 01 March 2010

      Moderator of Metropolitan Community Churches

      Calls for Vigilant Prayer

      in the Aftermath of Chilean Earthquake

      In the early morning hours of Saturday, February 27th, the people of Chile suffered what experts are saying was the 5th largest earthquake the world has known since 1900.  It comes just a month after the devastation in Haiti, and was followed by an earthquake of smaller magnitude in Argentina, which took the life of an 8-year-old boy.

      I am in contact with The Rev. Hector Gutierrez, our program coordinator for South America and he has been in communication with his contacts in Chile and they report, "We are ok and there are no deaths in our close circle of friends and their families".  Though little information is available at this time, we know that at least 700 people in the areas surrounding the epicenter of the earthquake have died and that as many as 1.5 million have been left homeless.  At least two dozen aftershocks of significant force have been reported.

      The quake also triggererd tsunami waves in the Pacific.  Thankfully, the islands of Hawaii appear to have been spared destruction, and the alerts for Japan and the Philippines cancelled.

      Today, I am asking all MCCers and people of faith to join me in praying for our brothers and sisters in Chile, especially the members, families and friends of Nuevo Espiritu ICM in Santiago and Grupo Cafarnaum in Concepcion.

      The Chilean Red Cross is handling disaster relief, and at this time believes it has the resources to care for people in need.  Should that change, I will share with you how MCCers can provide further assistance.

      For now, I ask that you pray with me for those who have died and their loved ones who survive, for those left homeless and in shock, and for the healing of the earth.

      We know that losses could have been much more severe, and give thanks for the modern building codes of the Chilean government that helped prevent the kind of devastation we saw in Haiti. --- I ask you to join me in praying for the day when housing for all God's children will be as safe to withstand disaster as humanly possible.

      We are a people of strong faith and conviction, and we know that in all suffering and disaster God is working for restoration and healing.  May our prayers be joined to that good and saving work.

      Grace and Peace,

      //signed//

      The Rev. Elder Nancy Wilson, Moderator

      Metropolitan Community Churches

      This statement prepared in conjuction with The Global Justice Team of Metropolitan Community Churches, The Rev. Pat Bumgardner, Chair.

      O God,

      We know that in all things

      You are near and working for good.

      Be with those who have suffered such shock and loss in Chile.

      Comfort our brothers and sisters who have survived,

      and hold close to your bosom those who have been lost in this latest disaster.

      Steady and encourage the members and friends of Nuevo Espiritu ICM

      and Grupo Cafarnaum, as they struggle to both deal with their own trauma

      and offer consolation to those around them.

      We pray for safe space for people in need of housing and shelter,

      and that everyone have food and water and the medical attention needed this day and night.

      God, we pray for the earth and its healing, too.

      Quiet its rage, and protect the islands and people and sea creatures

      now in danger of tsunami waves.

      God, help all of us to live in a way that promotes and advocates for

      a just and equal sharing of the earth's resources.

      In this way, may all of us have as much safety and security

      as possible in our world.

      We trust that your love and healing will be poured out this day

      on the people of Chile.

      Hear our petition for their protection.  In Jesus' name we pray.  +Amen

      About Metropolitan Community Churches

      Metropolitan Community Church, founded in 1968, is a human-rights movement and ministry operating as a Christian denomination in 25 countries around the world. MCC has often been and continues to be one of few leading advocates for vulnerable people in places where religious orthodoxy, sexism, and homophobia can result in violence and death. MCC's promise is stated in its tagline "Tearing Down Walls. Building Up Hope."

      For more information about MCC visit: http://www.mccchurch.org
      Imagine

      For Additional Information, Contact:
      Kathy Beasley, Communications Director
      Metropolitan Community Churches
      P.O. Box 1374 Abilene, TX (USA) 79604
      Email: Kathy Beasley
      Bookmark and Share

      MCC | PO Box 1374 | Abilene | TX | 79604