"True Life: I'm Coming Out" - MTV: Thursday, June 27 at 10pm

  • John Mayes
    Message 1 of 1 , May 9 11:31 AM
      "True Life: I'm Coming Out"
      Thursday, June 27th at 10:00pm
      on MTV

      Length: 45 minutes

      Over the last decade light-weight video equipment has
      allowed documentary makers easy and unobtrusive access
      to the human experience, an advancement poignantly
      illustrated by one of the non-9/11-related
      documentaries in the Festival. With the most intimate
      revelation between two people considered fair game by
      filmmakers - nurtured first on An American Family and
      later the reality movement of the 1990s, spearheaded
      by - The Real World - MTV producer Lucia Engstrom
      uncovers the most sensitive of interactions between
      parents and children in "True Life: I'm Coming Out".

      She details the lives of four young people as they
      struggle with their decision to tell their families
      that they are gay. Her camera is present to capture
      that telling moment that will change the lives of all
      involved; these 'home movies' speak to the issue of
      gender and difference that so many families are trying
      to comprehend.

      MTV filmmaker Lucia Engstorm explores the pain,
      anxiety, and courage of four young people as they
      struggle with their decisions to tell their families
      that they are gay. Her compelling portraits of these
      individuals - A Filipino-American high school soccer
      star from California: (also, class president), a
      teenager who wants to escape from her conservative
      Texan upbringing (she's from Midland); the
      quintessential Mormon who tried electroshock therapy
      to change his orientation; (he makes his own homemade
      video of his burn scars...he's too embarrassed to have
      another human being see this); and the all-American
      boy from New Jersey who had to imitate the masculine
      traits of other boys in high school - profoundly
      illustrate the emotional repercussions that follow...

      The premiere of this important documentary was last
      Wednesday, May 8th at the Festival of The Museum of
      Television & Radio, which is here in the city on 52nd
      Street. It was part of a festival series ... funding
      provided by Hearst Corp, HBO, Channel 13 (our PBS),
      various private Foundations, etc.

      This particular moving and illuminating documentary
      has the vision and prophetic voice that is currently
      missing from so many of our cultural institutions.

      http://shopping.yahoo.com