Religious groups link Hurricane to gay event

  • John Mayes
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
      Religious groups link Hurricane to gay event
      Christopher Curtis, Gay.com/PlanetOut.com Network
      Thursday 1 September, 2005 11:32

      An organisation of Christian fundamentalists claims the destruction
      brought on by Hurricane Katrina is God's judgment against New Orleans
      for holding festivals like the annual gay Southern Decadence party.

      "Although the loss of lives is deeply saddening, this act of God
      destroyed a wicked city," said Repent America director Michael
      Marcavage on the organisation's Web site.

      "From 'Girls Gone Wild' to 'Southern Decadence,' New Orleans was a
      city that had its doors wide open to the public celebration of sin.
      May it never be the same."

      Southern Decadence, which was scheduled for the country�s Labour Day
      weekend, has since been cancelled.

      The comments from Repent America come as New Orleans Mayor Ray Nagin
      noted Katrina probably killed thousands of people in the Crescent City.

      "Let us pray for those ravaged by this disaster," Marcavage said.
      "However, we must not forget that the citizens of New Orleans
      tolerated and welcomed the wickedness in their city for so long."

      Repent America's Web site noted New Orleans' past three mayors issued
      official proclamations welcoming visitors to Southern Decadence. The
      Web site also noted the "New Orleans City Council made other
      proclamations recognising the annual homosexual celebration."

      "May this act of God cause us all to think about what we tolerate in
      our city limits, and bring us trembling before the throne of Almighty
      God," Marcavage concluded, adding a biblical citation from Matthew
      5:45: "[God] sendeth rain on the just and on the unjust."

      The Rev Dr Cindi Love, executive director of the Metropolitan
      Community Churches (MCC), quoted back from the Bible. "Jeremiah 29
      says, 'I have good plans for you, not plans to hurt you. I will give
      you hope and a good future.' We rest on these promises."

      "I feel sad that anyone is taking advantage of the suffering of
      people when they are so vulnerable," Love told the GAY.COM/PlanetOut
      Network. "So, I am praying for our brothers and sisters who are
      blaming gays and lesbians for this disastrous hurricane.�

      �I ask them to use their energy to pray for those afflicted and to
      take the resources being used to attack gays and lesbians and use
      them to provide relief. There are far more 'straight' people,
      including children, suffering in this incident than gay people. I
      don't believe God punishes any of us with natural disasters, and I
      believe that God is with us in this one all the way through."

      Love added that the MCC was organising a relief effort.

      "The scripture that comes to my mind is 'Jesus wept,'" said the Rev
      Susan Russell, president of Integrity, an LGBT Episcopal group.

      "Jesus weeps today for the loss of life in New Orleans and he weeps
      that his gospel is being hijacked by the rabid rhetoric of the
      religious right -- that is in its own way as destructive to our
      national fabric as Hurricane Katrina has been."

      "What needs to happen is people of all backgrounds need to unite and
      focus instead on helping bring supplies to the people in need,"
      Russell said. "Hurricane Katrina did not discriminate in its path of
      destruction, and neither does God's love."

    • Marc Croux
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2005
        The odd thing is though that the cenntre of the city
        and the French quarter, famously gay, were spared.

        Marc

        http://us.click.yahoo.com/dpRU5A/wUILAA/yQLSAA/4bWolB/TM

        http://mail.yahoo.com