IVPF Member Meetings

  • cbparis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 2, 2002
      Hi Everyone!

      In case some of you don't know me, my name is Cindy Paris.  My son Nathan died because of undiagnosed vasa previa in 1996.  For years I searched for information about vasa previa and was only able to turn up 6 articles in the medical libraries here in town.  The babies in those articles lived, by only just.  Most of them were diagnosed by accident while their doctors were using color Doppler transvaginal ultrasound to follow up other diagnosed conditions in their pregnancies.

      Now, not even six years later, there are hundreds of us here on the internet joining together to save other babies (or our own) from this heartless condition.  There are thousands of pieces on information about vasa previa available at our fingertips.  Babies are more frequently diagnosed with vasa previa and saved by c-section.  And I am Secretary of the only organization dedicated to saving infant lives by raising awareness of a condition once described to me as "incompatible with life", the International Vasa Previa Foundation!  Who would have ever guessed?!

      Today's technology is helping to spread the knowledge about which prenatal conditions have the potential to develop into vasa previa.  But there is still so much to be done.  Many times doctors don't follow up women presenting with these conditions and lose the opportunity to diagnose an almost certain killer.  The IVPF is striving to make vasa previa as well known as any other medical condition.

      Would you like to learn more about how the IVPF works and what it has achieved so far?  Do you have ideas you'd like to suggest to the IVPF that would help the cause?  Starting this month the IVPF will be holding regularly scheduled meetings open to all IVPF members.  If you received this email, you are considered a general member of IVPF.  If you'd like to become even more involved, please reply with your request for free participating (voting) membership in the IVPF.  At the very least, attend these meetings and tell us what you think!

      The meetings will be held on each first Wednesday of every month and will always be hosted by a member of the IVPF Executive Committee.  It is my turn this month.  This month's meeting takes place tomorrow, Wednesday, 3 July at 7 PM, Central Standard Time in the Vasa Previa General Room of the IVPF Chat Cafe.  Please join us!  Your opinion matters.  It is my fervent hope and prayer that one day infant death due to vasa previa will be the exception instead of the rule.  I'm sure it is yours too!

      -Kindest regards,

      Cindy Paris, Secretary
      International Vasa Previa Foundation

      Sign up to receive the International Vasa Previa Foundation newsletter
      IVPF-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      To join the Vasa_Previa email discussion group, send an email to:
      Vasa_Previa-subscribe@yahoogroups.com

      Help us research vasa previa by filling in the IVPF research questionnaire:  http://www.vasaprevia.com/education/questions.htm

      Save babies from an untimely death due to vasa previa by JOINING the International Vasa Previa Foundation as a participating member! Membership is free.  Send an email with your request to:  info@...

    • Amy
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 16, 2002
        Hi Everyone!

        In case some of you don't know me, my name is Amy Brown Gaghagen.
        My nephew Joey Hambright died because of undiagnosed vasa previa in
        1998. Now, not even five years later, there are hundreds of us here
        on the internet joining together to save other babies (or our own)
        from this heartless condition. There are thousands of pieces on
        information about vasa previa available at our fingertips. Babies
        are more frequently diagnosed with vasa previa and saved by c-
        section. And I am President of the only organization dedicated to
        saving infant lives by raising awareness of this rare condition, the
        Vasa Previa Foundation!

        Today's technology is helping to spread the knowledge about which
        prenatal conditions have the potential to develop into vasa previa.
        But there is still so much to be done. Many times doctors don't
        follow up women presenting with these conditions and lose the
        opportunity to diagnose an almost certain killer. The VPF is
        striving to make vasa previa as well known as any other medical
        condition.

        Would you like to learn more about how the VPF works and what it has
        achieved so far? Do you have ideas you'd like to suggest to the VPF
        that would help the cause? If you received this email, you are
        considered a general member of VPF. If you'd like to become even
        more involved, please reply with your request for free participating
        (voting) membership in the VPF. At the very least, attend these
        meetings and tell us what you think!

        This month the meeting will be held on Wednesday, September 18 at
        10:00am Central Standard Time in the Vasa Previa General Room of the
        VPF Chat Cafe. Please join us! Your opinion matters. It is my
        fervent hope and prayer that one day infant death due to vasa previa
        will be the exception instead of the rule. I'm sure it is yours too!

        -Kindest regards,

        Amy Brown Gaghagen, President
        Vasa Previa Foundation
        http://www.vasaprevia.com