Re: [ISO8601] Re: How to represent BC (BCE). - Day name

  • Thorvaldur Gunnlaugsson
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 11, 2000

      > [2000-Nov-02]

      > - Some people have asked where to put the Day Name if they include it with a
      > date. Since the Day Name (Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday, ...) is dependent on
      > all of the Year, Month, and Day, in combination, then I write this after the
      > Date: e.g. 2000-Nov-02 Tuesday.
      >
      > - Since I use the letters BC and AD as a PREFIX to the date, and as I
      > sometimes state the Day Name directly after the date, for full dates and
      > times I have been known to program software to write on screen, and print on
      > paper output in a form similar to:
      > 1999 December 31 (Friday) 23:59:59 UTC.

      > Cheers,
      >
      > Ian.
      >

      > <mail://g1smd@...>
      >
      > <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      > <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>
      >
      > <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      > <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      My understanding of the standard is that it is only for the
      numerical representation of dates and NOT about how to spell
      out dates in different languages.

      The standard says that a date can be represented with a year
      followed by W and a weeknumber, optional -, and a weekday number.
      The standard does not say how to give the weekday with the month
      and month day format when we do not want to specify the weeknumber?
      Gary Houston 31 Jan 1993, says that W-7 can be used to represent
      Sunday of present week and ---7 Sunday of any week.
      Is it valid to specify a date like:
      2000-12-10W-7
      or 2000-12-10---7

      Neither of these look very nice to me, is there another way?

      B.w.
      Thorvaldur Gunnlaugsson thg@...