Re: "Centuries" and other flaws in ISO 8601

  • Justin JIH
    Message 1 of 3 , Nov 16, 2000
      --- In ISO8601@egroups.com, Archie Medrano <amedrano@e...> wrote:
      > $ >The basic format is CCYY-MM-DD where CC
      > $ >is the century, YY is the year
      > $ >in that century, MM is the month in
      > $ >numeric format and DD is the day in
      > $ >numeric format.
      > Why do people still use "century" for the first two Y's
      > in "YYYY-MM-DD"? For example, 1960 is in the 20th century,
      > not the 19th. The only "20**" year in the 20th century
      > is the year "2000", which is also in the SECOND MILLENNIUM,
      > not the THIRD.

      The term "century" is used in ISO 8601 5.2.1.1. I recognise there may
      be still a few flaws therein, like the term "century". Other flaws
      include but are not necessarily limited to:

      (1) Use of a letter "T" between a date and a time looks odd, though
      ISO 8601 does allow its omission under a note of 5.4.1)
      (2) Use of a solidus (/) to indicate a period of time may tend to
      mislead, though a double hyphen is allowed under a note of 5.5.2.
      Outside ISO 8601, a "~" may be seen in some cases. I prefer "~".

      Justin JIH