Re: Oral presentation Query (Was: And on a lighter note)

    Message 1 of 35 , Sep 6, 2004
      > Numeric dates should always be YYYY MM DD (separator
      doesn't
      > matter outside of computers) and that's the bottom line.

      Actually the separator matters even less to the computer, and ISO8601
      prefers that it not be present, it's only there to aid in human
      readability. I think having it does at least aid in indicating to the
      reader that the numbers are all part of one value. But then you get
      people saying we need to standardize one particular separator and I
      don't see that as an issue, I for one can understand dates with / -
      or . separators, why can't they? Of course your earlier point of
      leaving out the T is valid.

      When I was writing my routines for logging messages from my software,
      keeping ISO8601 in mind, I knew that the human readability was more
      important than computer readability, so I use "YYYY-MM-DD HH:mm:SS",
      which is also a format that OpenVMS (which I was using at the time)
      understands.

      As a side note, a project I had to do once called for my program to
      process data created by a program from one of my coworkers. He
      specified that I couldn't count on the separators being any
      particular character. I said he was nuts, he should pick one and
      stick with it, I have no idea why he would write a system that would
      change things like at arbitrarily (oh yeah, he was using Perl).
      Anyway, I finally decided the first thing my program should do with a
      timestamp was remove the separators -- didn't need them anyway.
    • ivy19991231@softhome.net
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 12, 2004
        Whoa! Braille varies by country too?