Re: [ISO8601] And on a lighter note

  • bandi@ms29.hinet.net
    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 31, 2004
      I whole-heartedly agree with both writers.  These are exactly my sentiments and information about the usage of ISO 8601 date and time.  As a language instructor, I try to carry the standard one step further and use it orally as well.  However, there are no standards or widely accepted rules for oral 24-h time expressions .
      Therefore, I follow what sounds the most logical to my ears, the airport announcements in Amsterdam and a few other European cities.  Most of them avoid the obsolete "Twenty-four hundred hours"  Simply there aren't hundreds of hours in a day.  Instead, I hear "Zero hour zero minutes" sometimes augmented by the words "midnight exactly".
      This discussion — however important — is often viewed by the techno-oriented members as irrelevant to an ISO 8601 group.  Some of the regular correspondents of the group urged me to use another forum for pondering the ways and means of oral date and time expressions.
      Does anyone know of such a discussion group?
      BUDAI  A.E. — Xinzhu City, Taiwan
      2004 09 01    (We)    08:38
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 12, 2004
        Whoa! Braille varies by country too?