Re: questions about time intervals

    Message 1 of 35 , Aug 21, 2004
      No, they just define what a date (either calendar or ordinal) is.
      Without saying what one means or how to use it.

      But also look at 3.17 and 3.26 -- 3.26 defines a time-point, and 3.17
      (and 5.5.4.1) specifies that the values in a start/end interval are
      time-points (I think I mistyped it as 5.4.4.1 in my earlier post,
      sorry)

      And 3.23

      And 4.1

      And 5.5.3.1.a

      And, of course, 5.5.5.d

      I guess it boils down to this: a time interval with start and end
      time-points with "reduced precision" (i.e. no time of day specified)
      can only be used "by mutual agreement". It is perfectly valid and
      possibly probable that the agreement will be that the start value
      would be "T000000" and the end value be "T240000", as you argue. But
      it doesn't have to be, another partnership could use "T090000"
      and "T170000" respectively as their time of day values.

      I myself would demand with any and all who wish to interchange with
      me, that "reduced precision" _never_ be used. The computer doesn't
      care and I think network speeds are sufficiently high that sending
      those "extra" bytes won't matter a gnat's arse.

      Allow me to point out that I doubt your nominal meeting will convene
      at midnight one one day and run through to midnight on another day.
      It seems likely you would hold it from 090000 to 170000 on each day,
      meaning you would need to send a time interval format for _each_ of
      the meeting periods.

      I think what you are talking about is the more informal "human
      interchange", saying, "we're going to meet from 9:00 to 5:00 on the
      10th through the 11th". For which ISO8601 is probably inappropriate.
    • ivy19991231@softhome.net
      Message 35 of 35 , Sep 12, 2004
        Whoa! Braille varies by country too?