Re: ISO 8601 vs language-dependent dates

  • Justin JIH
    Message 1 of 5 , Nov 14, 2000
      --- In ISO8601@egroups.com, "Karl Ove Hufthammer" <huftis@b...> wrote:
> [...]

      Based on common practice, it appears that most "American
      customary" month day year orders use slashes (/) while "European
      common" day month year orders usually use periods (.) as separators.
      But variations do exist, so the risk of conflicts cannot be solved
      through different separators.

      Based on a file in this group, there are excessive ways to write
      dates in Canada. All 3 orders y m d, d m y, m d y are used. Believe
      it or not, potential conflicts of d m y and m d y could cause
      difference of months almost equal to the number difference, e.g. 06
      01 1998 could mean 6 January 1998 or June 1, 1998, almost 5 months
      apart.

      Unfortunately, still too many do not use ISO 8601 for all
      numerical dates, including here in eGroup, and even mm/dd/yyyy in
      eGroups in China, Hong Kong, and Taiwan! What a lack of international
      knowledge of eGroups. Perhaps we should keep complaining.

      --
      Justin JIH