Which month is this week in?

  • Greg
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 1, 2004
      Hi all,

      I need some help please (and this is no April fools joke).

      Can you tell me if 8601 or any other ISO standard provides a method
      to determine which month a week falls in the same way 8601 talks
      about the first week of a year?

      I am using 8601 as my guide. The standard says, "...the first
      calendar week of a year is the one that includes the first Thursday
      of that year". So by the same logic, when a Mon-Sun week bridges two
      months, wherever Thursday falls, that is the first week of any given
      month.

      Per my current convention, the current week, 3/29-4/4 is the first
      week of April, because Thursday is April 1.

      I am tracking call center metrics by week and month and I need the
      sum of my weekly totals to tie to the monthly totals for any given
      month. Our reporting week is defined as Mon-Sun.

      So here is my problem: there are people questioning my method of
      determining the first week of a month. Because, since most of our
      activity occurs Mon-Fri, the balance of our calls for 3/28-4/4 (Week
      1 of April by my accounting) actually occur in March (Mon-Wed).
      They argue that most of the work week is actually in March.

      I recognize that this is one reason why we have standards so the
      whims of that masses do not overwhelm logic and the need for
      consistency. But I need to be practical as well.

      I would appreciate if someone more knowledgeable than me could point
      me to a standard to support my position or a correction of my method.

      Thanks and regards,

      Greg
    • jusjih
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 18, 2004
        --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "Greg" <Erutus@m...> wrote:
        > Can you tell me if 8601 or any other ISO standard provides a method
        > to determine which month a week falls in the same way 8601 talks
        > about the first week of a year?
        > So here is my problem: there are people questioning my method of
        > determining the first week of a month. Because, since most of our
        > activity occurs Mon-Fri, the balance of our calls for 3/28-4/4 (Week
        > 1 of April by my accounting) actually occur in March (Mon-Wed).
        > They argue that most of the work week is actually in March.

        As far as I know, ISO 8601 DOES NOT determine which month a week falls
        in the same way 8601 talks about the first week of a year. It means
        that what you ask about the first week in a month IS NOT in ISO 8601.