Re: [ISO8601] Re: Leap Seconds

    Message 1 of 18 , Mar 17, 2004
      piebaldconsult is skeptical:

      > Zzzzz... huh? wuh? Oh you stopped talking?
      >
      > I fail to see how that has anything to do with ISO 8601.
      > ISO 8601 specifies formats for time data interchange; as long
      > as "23:59:60" is valid, then everything's fine.
      >
      > Taking leap seconds into account or not for timespans must be decided
      > by the data interchanging parties "by mutual agreement".

      John is right that it is nevertheless a problem for software that allowing 61
      seconds (0-60) because a minute may sometimes have a 61st, allows erroneous
      data to be created for the vast majority of minutes that shouldn't have leap
      seconds. A table of values or other approaches are needed to insure the
      "agreement" is followed.

      And since the agreement is changing, (leap seconds are added over time)
      mechanisms for authorizing and incorporating changes need to be supported.

      It's a difficult problem.
      Perhaps uninteresting to piebaldconsult, but it is in scope for date
      interchange discussion.
      (ie. Better buy more "z"s... ;-) )

      Tex Texin cell: +1 781 789 1898 mailto:Tex@...
      Xen Master http://www.i18nGuy.com

      XenCraft http://www.XenCraft.com
      Making e-Business Work Around the World
      Message 2 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
        Oh, so you don't trust your business partners, I see.

        Well what would you do with a "23:59:60" that doesn't appear on your
        list? Send it back for confirmation? You can't just say "Well they
        must have meant..." . And will you hold up your own production while
        you wait for confirmation?

        My agreement with a partner would specify that a "23:59:60" isn't
        questioned, just processed. If it's later found to be invalid, well
        shame on them. And if there's a possiblilty of abuse, then a review
        process would need to be established.
        Message 3 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
          It's not so much a case of trusting people, as trusting their code...

          And yes, if data isn't valid it can be a reason to bounce a request for service
          of some kind. It doesn't necessarily hold up my production.

          Just curious, but what do you if other fields are invalid? 22:90:59...

          But it's just curiousity. With respect to dates and partner agreements, I hope
          we can just stipulate that applications take different approaches with invalid
          data, and how invalid leap seconds are processed might be covered by the
          agreement as well.
          tex

          piebaldconsult wrote:

          > Oh, so you don't trust your business partners, I see.
          >
          > Well what would you do with a "23:59:60" that doesn't appear on your
          > list? Send it back for confirmation? You can't just say "Well they
          > must have meant..." . And will you hold up your own production while
          > you wait for confirmation?
          >
          > My agreement with a partner would specify that a "23:59:60" isn't
          > questioned, just processed. If it's later found to be invalid, well
          > shame on them. And if there's a possiblilty of abuse, then a review
          > process would need to be established.
          >

          > Yahoo! Groups Links

          Tex Texin cell: +1 781 789 1898 mailto:Tex@...
          Xen Master http://www.i18nGuy.com

          XenCraft http://www.XenCraft.com
          Making e-Business Work Around the World
        • BUDAI Andrew
          Message 4 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
             A note from a language stickler: see the second paragraph below.  Budai, Andrew
            It's not so much a case of trusting people, as trusting their code...

            And yes, if data isn't valid
            (should read "if data aren't valid" as the singular of data is datum)

            piebaldconsult wrote:

            > Oh, so you don't trust your business partners, I see.
            >
            > Well what would you do with a "23:59:60" that doesn't appear on your
            > list? Send it back for confirmation? You can't just say "Well they
            > must have meant..." . And will you hold up your own production while
            > you wait for confirmation?
            >
            > My agreement with a partner would specify that a "23:59:60" isn't
            > questioned, just processed. If it's later found to be invalid, well
            > shame on them. And if there's a possiblilty of abuse, then a review
            > process would need to be established.
            >

            > Yahoo! Groups Links

            Tex Texin   cell: +1 781 789 1898   mailto:Tex@...
            Xen Master                          http://www.i18nGuy.com

            XenCraft             http://www.XenCraft.com
            Making e-Business Work Around the World
          • NGUYEN Adam
            Message 5 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                       Good that you pointed that out, as I didn't know wether data is a singular or plural word.

              Message 6 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                Andrew, thanks. If applications validated my English, I would never get any
                requests served... ;-)

                Message 7 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                  Adam, you meant to use "whether". A "wether" is a castrated ram.

                  ;-)

                  NGUYEN Adam wrote:

                  > Good that you pointed that out, as I didn't know wether data is a
                  > singular or plural word.
                  >
                  > At 2004-03-19 06:58 (UTC+0800), you wrote:
                  >
                  > > A note from a language stickler: see the second paragraph below. Budai,
                  > > Andrew

                • John M. Steele
                  Message 8 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                    But as a standards group, we should point out that there are standards for language. For American English, it is Webster's dictionary.
                    On data, mine say "plural, but singular or plural in construction." (Actually, it says it all in abbreviations.) But either "data is" or "data are" is correct per Webster. The standard reference for British or International English is the Oxford, and it may not agree.

                    Message 9 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                      At 2004-03-18 19:57 (UTC-0500), you wrote:

                      But as a standards group, we should point out that there are standards for language. For American English, it is Webster's dictionary.
                      On data, mine say "plural, but singular or plural in construction." (Actually, it says it all in abbreviations.) But either "data is" or "data are" is correct per Webster. The standard reference for British or International English is the Oxford, and it may not agree.

                               Well, me and BUDAI Andrew, as well as countless others use British (International) English; while American English is restricted to a particular country, and/or industry. It's roots are British English, however. I thought the word data has always been used in a plural form (like "This is good data."). I don't agree in American English's way of quoting, where sentence puncutation that's not a part of the actual content being quoted is put inside the quotation marks ("My dog is big," he said in American English and "My dog is big", he said in British (International) English), rather than where they should be: on the outside.

                               I don't want to turn this to a flame war so, I'm just stating my personal opinion, which can differ, depending on someone else reading it.
                    • John M. Steele
                      Message 10 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                        We're a little off topic, and this should really go to the other group. The issue you raise is not unique to English. Differences exist between Brasilian and Continental Portuguese, Spanish as spoken in Spain vs. Latin America, and versions of French. There is some tendency for Latin America, Japan, and perhaps some other Asian countries to use American rather than British English.

                        While we're being picky, even in British English, wouldn't that be "BUDAI Andrew and I?" On American vs.. British English, it seems necessary to regard both as correct, to be aware of the differences, and for each party to consistently use the version they learned. Although I am familiar with most of the differences, I feel it would be an affectation for me to try to use British English.

                        "How about those leapseconds?"

                        Message 11 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                          Sure. If a duration is a billion leap seconds, how long is it in the US and how
                          long is it in the UK?

                          (hint, they are not the same.)
                          ;-)

                          Message 12 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                            10^9 (US), 10^12 (UK). What does it mean to table the topic?

                            Message 13 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                              In the US table means postpone it for discussion some other time. in the UK
                              discuss it now.

                              But what does table have to do with leap seconds? ;-)

                              Speaking of leaping:

                              I am wearing a jumper. What part(s) of me are covered?
                              (Not too graphic a description and please no images.)

                              Message 14 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                                At 2004-03-18 21:16 (UTC-0500), you wrote:
                                "How about those leapseconds?"

                                Ooooh... How about those? How about 86400 of them? What would a time be if it had that many leap seconds in that day?
                                Message 15 of 18 , Mar 18, 2004
                                  not sure about the time, but its a pretty good guess the date is feb 29.
                                  ;-)