Re: [ISO8601] Re: Is "2003-11-22 13:30:15" an ISO-8601 date in your opinion?

  • NGUYEN Adam
    Message 1 of 27 , Jan 21, 2004
               The '03:00-05:00' looks pretty confusing to the average reader. Maybe this should be changed to '03:00:00 local time' and mention of what location the event happened in or '03:00:00 (UTC+/-xx:yy:zz)'? The latter example is better, as the parenthesis shows that the timezone is extra information and isn't always required. Another method is to just convert all times to UTC and just do something like '...on Saturday, 1 January, 2000, 08:00:00 UTC...' in an essay or '...2000-01-01 (Sat.) 08:00:00 UTC...' in a list (just keep the weekday abbreviation fixed-width (3 characters in English) or something else. Examples are like this:

      I was born on Tuesday, 18 September, 1985, 03:55:00 UTC.
      My birth is: 1985-09-18 (Tue.) 03:55:00 UTC

      (take note of bold part)

      At 2004-01-21 08:14 (UTC+0000), you wrote:

      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "Per Johansson" <per@j...> wrote:
      > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, Jan Boström <jan@s...> wrote:
      > > As you state, strictly speaking "2003-11-22 13:30:15" is not an
      ISO
      > 8601 date. You could of course consider it an ISO 8601 date followed
      > by an ISO 8601 time, but since the date and time are related it
      would
      > not be correct.

      It's true. A note under 5.4.1 of ISO 8601 Final Draft dated 2000-12-
      15 says that the letter T may be omitted if readily understood.

      > As for the "T", my view is that it is intended for machine data
      > exchange, which is what the standard is about anyway, since spaces
      are
      > unwanted. I normally leave it out in documents intended for human
      reading.

      Excellent point. Instead of "on 2001-03-25T03:00-05:00" in a complete
      sentence, I would say "on 25 March 2001 at 03:00-05:00" for now. I
      prefer British dates in a complete English sentence but ISO 8601 if
      not in a sentence.

      > > IMHO the two weak spots in ISO 8601 is the "T" for separating date
      > and time and the "/" for indicating time spans. Of these two,
      the "T"
      > is worse since optically it is closer to the digits then to the
      other
      > separators and therefore the eye does not instantly recognize it as
      > separator. The "/" is a problem since in most other circumstances a
      > "/" is used to indicate alternatives (i.e. date and/or time). In
      dates
      > that are primarily intended to be machine-readable, it does not
      > matter, but when trying to promote the ISO 8601 format in dates
      > intended for human eyes, it certainly is a problem.

      What's "IMHO"? Humans are not used to "T" or "/" as defined in ISO
      8601. Its why I recently said of something like "1984-03-24--1989-03-
      01" and "1989-12-08--" for time-intervals. I use a double hyphen in
      place of "/".

      After all, I no longer use YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss or YYYY-MM-
      DDThh:mm:ss/YYYY-MM-DDThh:mm:ss with "T" or "/" in my web pages
      except http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/iso8601.html itself.

      Justin

      Yahoo! Groups Links

      To visit your group on the web, go to:

       http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
    • NGUYEN Adam
      Message 2 of 27 , Jan 21, 2004
        Do you think you can possibly give examples of what these
        human-oriented date representations were? Out of just a wild guess, I'm
        guessing something like the following:

        Saturday, 1 January, 2000
        2000 January 1 (Saturday)
        Saturday, January 1, 2000
        Sat., 01-Jan-2000
        2000-Jan-01 (Sat.)
        Sat., Jan-01-2000

        Correct me if I'm wrong...

        At 2004-01-21 23:04 (UTC+0000), you wrote:

        >[...]I was somewhat disappointed to see the first edition of ISO 8601,
        >since the ISO recommendation it replaced, at least in its Swedish
        >version (1972 I think), also had sections describing that kind of
        >human-oriented date representations, such as using month names in
        >textual form. This was excluded in the final standard, as mentioned in
        >its introduction paragraphs.
        >

        >Yahoo! Groups Links
        >
        >To visit your group on the web, go to:

        > http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/
        >

        >---
        >Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.
      • Per Johansson
        Message 3 of 27 , Jan 22, 2004
          --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, NGUYEN Adam <adam917@s...> wrote:
          > Do you think you can possibly give examples of what these
          > human-oriented date representations were? Out of just a wild guess, I'm
          > guessing something like the following:
          >
          > Saturday, 1 January, 2000
          > 2000 January 1 (Saturday)
          > Saturday, January 1, 2000
          > Sat., 01-Jan-2000
          > 2000-Jan-01 (Sat.)
          > Sat., Jan-01-2000

          Actually, I still have a copy of the first page of the Swedish
          standard, that consisted of four pages only. Here's a summary, partly
          translated to English:

          Svensk Standard SIS 01 02 11
          Date: 1972-06-30
          Writing of calendar dates, times of day and time intervals

          Based on ISO/R 2014-1970, extended with writing of dates
          alphanumerically and times.

          1. Dates

          1.1 Numeric
          a) 1972-02-09
          b) 1972 02 09

          1.2 Alphanumeric
          a) den 9 februari 1972
          b) den 9 feb 1972

          Abbreviations
          jan feb mar apr maj jun jul aug sep okt nov dec

          2. Times

          2.1 Numeric
          a) 1972-02-09 kl 08.00
          b) 1972 02 09 kl 08.00
          c) 1972-02-09 kl 08.32.15,8
          d) 1972-02-09-08.00
          e) 1972 02 09 08.00
          f) 1972-02-09-08.32.15,8
          g) 1972 02 09 08.32.15,8

          (end of my copy)
        • NGUYEN Adam
          Message 4 of 27 , Jan 22, 2004
                     What's SIS 01 02 11 in the beginning, den in section 1.2, and kl in section 2.1 mean? That . in the times to separate hour, minute, and second values is bound to confuse many people who aren't native Swedish speakers, especially if the time is just two values (like the 23.59 used instead of 23:59).

            Message 5 of 27 , Jan 22, 2004

              Date: 1972-06-30
              Writing of calendar dates, times of day and time intervals

              Based on ISO/R 2014-1970, extended with writing of dates
              alphanumerically and times.

              1. Dates

              1.1 Numeric
              a) 1972-02-09
              b) 1972 02 09

              1.2 Alphanumeric
              a) den 9 februari 1972
              b) den 9 feb 1972

              Abbreviations
              jan feb mar apr maj jun jul aug sep okt nov dec

              2. Times

              2.1 Numeric
              a) 1972-02-09 kl 08.00
              b) 1972 02 09 kl 08.00
              c) 1972-02-09 kl 08.32.15,8
              d) 1972-02-09-08.00
              e) 1972 02 09 08.00
              f) 1972-02-09-08.32.15,8
              g) 1972 02 09 08.32.15,8

              (end of my copy)
                  As a language instructor, I try to teach simplicity.  I find "Human-oriented Date Representation" a  little too complicated.
              I would say: Date and Time for everyday use.

                  Having said this, I would like to make ISO 8601 to be user-friendly for everyday users, like office clerks, shipping agents, lawyers, all non-technical professionals, or even homemakers who use calendars and answering machines in their daily lives.

                  I want my 'talking clock' to show 00:30 and say "zero hour thirty", or even "half an hour after midnight" will suffice.

                  We've heard from computer programmers who tried to settle the issue on systems talking to each other, then systems talking to people and vice versa.  Now we need  suggestions that give a 'plain English' version of ISO 8601, one that leaves room for personalization.

                  My uncle in Hungary would like to add the name of the day to 2004 01 26  but he would want to be technically correct.  To him, Monday is hétfő, to our Swedish friends it is probably mandag, To the French it is lundi, and to thirteen hundred million Chinese  Monday is xinzhi yi = Day One.

                  The standard date should fit into any language, with margin left for expressing the name of the day in parentheses.

                  Similarly, mm 01 (month) should be numeric with allowance for the name of the month, as in January -- Janvier -- Jänner -- januar etc to add the human touch.

                  Historic year designations, such as year 5000+ for the Jews, 4000+ for the Chinese, yet again different years for the Japanese and the Taiwanese, should be relegated to the history books or to the religious commemorations.  The world-wide standard for yyyy is the current 2004.

                  In telling the time, 13:30 should be qualified whether it is GMT, UTC, or what time zone.  Where ever the summer daylight time deviation exists, it should be noted.

                  It is seldom necessary for ordinary people to verbally express seconds, therefore 13:30 can be said in English as "thirteen-thirty" without adding the words "hour" and "minutes" in most cases.  If any doubt, one can add "thirteen-thirty p.m.".
              European languages have already established their own methods of expressing time verbally, so my suggestion aims at standardizing English only.

                  We need suggestions as to the writing and saying world standard date and time in English, while adding that other nations should be able to write the correct date and time without having to learn a huge vocabulary of English words.

              Budai, Andrew — Taiwan        2004 01 23 (Friday) 10:19

              Message 6 of 27 , Jan 22, 2004
                Guys,

                These are noble sentiments, but not really iso 8601 related.
                I understand that you are starting from 8601 as a base, but you are not talking
                about an exchange format but a cultural convention to be adopted by
                english-speakers and possibly other cultures. (Not to mention the implied
                repression of existing conventions some of which are promoted by the relevant
                governments in an attempt to preserve their culture.)

                I wonder if the discussion would be better served on a new list that was
                dedicated to creating an unambiguous but humane date, time format and calendar.
                You could then define clear objectives, decide if 8601 is in fact the right
                base to begin with, and which parts it makes sense to borrow, whether you want
                an international or english format, etc.

                You would probably get more interest and support from a list entitled
                "unambiguous human-readable date formats" than one called iso8601.

                This is not my list, so you can ignore my suggestion or take them with a grain
                of salt- I am also not trying to give offense.
                But the discussion does seem off-topic and has wandered now far from the
                objectives of 8601.

                It doesn't seem you are proposing to "fix" 8601 nearly as much as create
                something different for a similar but unrelated purpose.

                Date: 1972-06-30
[...]

                Tex Texin cell: +1 781 789 1898 mailto:Tex@...
                Xen Master http://www.i18nGuy.com

                XenCraft http://www.XenCraft.com
                Making e-Business Work Around the World
              • Per Johansson
                Message 7 of 27 , Jan 23, 2004
                  --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, NGUYEN Adam <adam917@s...> wrote:
                  > What's SIS 01 02 11 in the beginning, den in section 1.2,
                  and kl
                  > in section 2.1 mean? That . in the times to separate hour, minute, and
                  > second values is bound to confuse many people who aren't native Swedish
                  > speakers, especially if the time is just two values (like the 23.59
                  used
                  > instead of 23:59).

                  This was a national Swedish standard, intended for Swedish-speaking
                  users. A similar standard for, say, Germany, would of course use
                  German words. It was withdrawn when ISO 8601 was issued, which is now
                  the Swedish standard. As for the period (.), perhaps the ISO
                  recommendation used a period. I don't know.

                  It was an attempt to create a version of the standard for human
                  communication, whereas ISO 8601 is about machine communication. The
                  standard was consistent with how people usually write dates and times.
                  I think the lack of such standards intended for human communication is
                  one reason for the slow acceptance of the general date format
                  (2004-01-23).
                • Fred Bone
                  Message 8 of 27 , Jan 23, 2004
                    "Per Johansson" wrote:

                    > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "jusjih" <jus168jih@s...> wrote:
                    > > --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "Per Johansson" <per@j...> wrote:
                    > > ISO
                    > > > 8601 date. You could of course consider it an ISO 8601 date followed
                    > > > by an ISO 8601 time, but since the date and time are related it
                    > > would
                    > > > not be correct.
                    > >
                    > > It's true. A note under 5.4.1 of ISO 8601 Final Draft dated 2000-12-
                    > > 15 says that the letter T may be omitted if readily understood.
                    > >

                    > I didn't even know that. Haven't read the new final draft in detail.

                    It's identical to the same rubric in the same section of the 1988
                    edition.

                    However, it says "omitted", not "replaced by a space". Spaces do not
                    occur in ISO8601 representations (see 4.4 in the 2000 edition, 4.3 in
                    the 1988 one).
                  • Fred Bone
                    Message 9 of 27 , Jan 23, 2004
                      NGUYEN Adam wrote:

                      > The '03:00-05:00' looks pretty confusing to the average reader.
                      > Maybe this should be changed to '03:00:00 local time' and mention of what
                      > location the event happened in or '03:00:00 (UTC+/-xx:yy:zz)'?

                      It's not the least confusing for the target audience: a program. And
                      as mentioned previously, spaces have no place in ISO8601
                      representations.
                    • NGUYEN Adam
                      Message 10 of 27 , Jan 23, 2004
                                 I agree again here. 'Date and Time for everyday use' makes sense because uses very simple language. 'Human-oriented Date Representation' should only be used in technical & standards documents.

                                 Maybe even "zero hour", "zero thirty", "noon", and "twenty-three fifty-nine" would suffice for the talking clock saying 00:00, 00:30, 12:00, and 23:59?

                                 Here's my suggestions for a standard date for everyday use:

                        All Numbers (Full only): 2000-01-08
                        Long-hand English (year-month-day): 2000 January 8 (Saturday)
                        Short-hand English (year-month-day): 2000-Jan-08 (Sat.)
                        Long-hand English (day-month-year): Saturday, 8 January, 2000
                        Short-hand English (day-month-year): Sat., 08-Jan-2000

                        Notice that only full dates are shown. Even though some of them are short-hand, they still get the whole message across, unlike the current practice of who knows how many different short-hand date format schemes. The 'All Numbers (Full only)' and 'Short-hand (year-month-day)' formats have the advantage of being able to fit nicely in tables for people to look at in a page.

                                 I didn't include there how to say them but, they should all be said in any of the two following ways: 'Saturday, the eigth of January, two thousand' or 'two thousand, January eight, Saturday'.

                                 Times should be in the 24-hour format, with whatever amount of precision needed. If the deciseconds (like 23:59:59.9) aren't needed, don't use them. If is all that's needed is just the hours & minutes, just use those, to keep it simple. It's good to know that it's possible to use such precision in a date & time, but it isn't always required. Usually times should be verbally expressed in 'zero hour(s)' (00:00) or 'seventeen forty-six' (17:46) forms, for times on the hour and times within the hour.

                                 Timezones in international use such as the Internet, the aviation industry, or any other international industry shouldn't be used at all and instead, replaced with the UTC equivalent dates & times and those dates & times should be appended with a space and 'UTC' ( UTC). For normal everyday use, like talking on the phone, or a televsion or radio broadcast that people in more than one timezone may be watching or listening to, a sentence like 'Right now, it's Saturday, the eigth of January, two thousand, at seventeen forty-six here in New York City in the US.' should suffice.

                                 Combinations of date, time, and timezone for international use are below:

                        2000 January 8 (Saturday), 17:46, UTC
                        2000-Jan-08 (Sat.), 17:46, UTC
                        Saturday, 8 January, 2000, 17:46, UTC
                        Sat., 08-Jan-2000, 17:46, UTC

                                 For local use, just omit the ', UTC' and ' UTC'.

                        At 2004-01-23 10:26 (UTC+0800), you wrote:[...]
                            As a language instructor, I try to teach simplicity.  I find "Human-oriented Date Representation" a  little too complicated.
                        I would say: Date and Time for everyday use.

                            Having said this, I would like to make ISO 8601 to be user-friendly for everyday users, like office clerks, shipping agents, lawyers, all non-technical professionals, or even homemakers who use calendars and answering machines in their daily lives.

                            I want my 'talking clock' to show 00:30 and say "zero hour thirty", or even "half an hour after midnight" will suffice.

                            We've heard from computer programmers who tried to settle the issue on systems talking to each other, then systems talking to people and vice versa.  Now we need  suggestions that give a 'plain English' version of ISO 8601, one that leaves room for personalization.

                            My uncle in Hungary would like to add the name of the day to 2004 01 26  but he would want to be technically correct.  To him, Monday is hétfQ, to our Swedish friends it is probably mandag, To the French it is lundi, and to thirteen hundred million Chinese  Monday is xinzhi yi = Day One.

[...]

                        [...]---
                        Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.