Time-intervals in ISO 8601

  • jusjih
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 15, 2004
      Two dates separated by a solidus as in ISO 8601 or a hyphen or the
      like imply a time-interval with known start and end. It may be used
      for anniversaries of something, such as 1776--2001 for the 225th
      anniversary of the United States. However, when it is used for
      somebody, it usually means the dates of birth AND death of a person,
      such as Anita MUI Yim-fong (1963--2003 or 1963-10-10--2003-12-30 to
      be precise) who recently died in Hong Kong.

      ISO 8601 does not include a time-interval with known start but
      unknown end. As a double hyphen may be used in place of a solidus,
      the date of birth of former US President Ronald Wilson Reagan may be
      written as something like 1911-02-06-- (with no definite end as he is
      alive). It is not ISO 8601-compliant. See also my
      http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/knightrider.html#74 for another
      example showing time-intervals with or without known ends.

      Justin

      P.S. My http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/num-iso8601.html is to be
      split to 5 pages:

      Formats and examples of ISO 8601 annotated in 3 languages are now at:
      http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/iso8601.html (reinstated URL)

      Numbers, Dates and Time in English (en), French (fr) and Chinese (zh)
      are now at:

      http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/numbers.html (en)
      http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/nombres.html (fr)
      http://www.geocities.com/jusjih/shu.html (zh)

      For dates and time, these pages also use ISO 8601 whole showing how
      to read them in 3 languages.
    • NGUYEN Adam
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004
        OK, thanks for the information...

        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 16, 2004
          You don't seem to state a point. But it seems to me that simply
          leaving out the end timepoint would serve the purpose.