Re: [ISO8601] Farewell!

  • Mailinglists
    Message 1 of 4 , May 15, 2003
      Hello,

      on 2003-05-13T06:11+02:00 hjwoudenberg wrote:
      > In binary these dates are equal but not in text:
      > "2000-01-01T00:00:00,123" = "2000-01-01T00:00:00.123"
      > "2000-01-01T00:00:00" = "2000-01-01t00:00:00"
      > "2000-01-01T00:00:00" = "2000-01-01 00:00:00"

      This is not any problem, a human or a machine interpreter can correct
      interpret such values.

      > Time test using functions converted 100,000 text dates to binary dates in 1.1
      > seconds with a 500 MHz CPU.

      Such values are meaningless. The used algorithm, language, compiler,
      CPU, OS, free resources, like RAM, other applications and often the
      weather are important influencing factors, which can change the
      results extremely.

      > I can accept that for many companies do not have these problems. Everyone
      > has the right to take either of these attitudes:
      > 1. Not my problem.
      > 2. Can I help in finding a solution so that others and myself do not
      > have to reinvent the wheel?

      Such a solution is a concrete implementation. To find a good
      implementation, you need to consider different requirement, often you
      must use a special compromise for your special application. There is
      not any "All in One"-solution.

      However and again, binary implementations are not subject of the
      ISO 8601 standard.

      > I have found the answer, and apparently this is not an ISO-8601 problem,
      > happy hunting to those who have need of the solution! Over the weekend I
      > developed a decimal to binary conversion routine that is 1,000 times faster
      > than anything on the Internet.

      I'm sure, that this isn't true, moreover I would say, this is laughable.

      Why do you should develop a routine, which is 1000 times faster than
      anything on the internet. Do you mean all other programmer are
      completely untalented?

      Fortunately (for you) this mailing list is not the right place to
      discuss such routines, else I have invite you to substantiate your
      statement. Typically really improvements of existing algorithm have
      factors of 1.1 to 1.3, rare more than 2.0. Although even many calender
      date conversations often use a awkward algorithm, but you can find
      also good algorithm on the internet.

      > My failure is that I did not realize that the God's have inspired ISO-8601
      > and therefore it is not to be questioned!

      Rather I think, your failure is, that you overestimate yourself. You
      should try to understand the reasons and motivations of the ISO-8601
      standard implementation and also for any existing binary date format
      implementation before you try to 'improve' it. But for this, you need
      more than the sciolism, which you have demonstrate in some of your
      mails.

      > Evidently I misunderstood the purpose of this Web site!

      I think, this could be true.

      Bye Peter.