Re: [ISO8601] Re Tex comments.

    Message 1 of 2 , May 15, 2003
      In a message dated 5/14/2003 11:53:15 PM Eastern Daylight Time, tex@... writes:

      As you wrote:
      "It has ambiguities,"

      I think this is a problem?  Dates over the Internet do not allow one to negotiation.  I find others also having problems!   I am listening.

      Herman
    • Mailinglists
      Message 2 of 2 , May 15, 2003
        Hello,

        on 2003-05-15T18:37+02:00 hjwoudenberg wrote:

        >> "It has ambiguities,"

        > I think this is a problem?

        This is not a really problem. In German, we differentiate between
        'eindeutig' = 'unambiguous' = 'not having two possible
        interpretations' and 'eineindeutig'. Unfortunately I don't know the
        english word. ISO 8601 is 'eindeutig', but in your sample not
        'eineindeutig'.

        ISO 8601 is unambiguous, because it exist exact one period on the time
        scale for every ISO 8601 value. There is not any problem to find a
        valid ISO 8601 value for every arbitrary period on a time scale.

        That you can find more than one ISO 8601 value for every period on a
        time scale is only a syntactic problem, but not a semantic problem.

        > Dates over the Internet do not allow one to negotiation.

        ISO 8601 isn't a internet standard, even if it is used in any internet
        standards.

        However, the unambiguity is valid also in this case. Of course you
        need a interpreter, which can interpret all defined formats.

        The "by mutual agreement" clause have no real effect, because you have
        or you don't have a agreement. The implementation of any interpreter
        must regard such agreements.

        Bye Peter.