My Recent Actions

  • Green, Paul
    Message 1 of 1 , Jun 30, 2000
      Folks,

      My activities have focused on alerting Stratus VOS customers to the
      ambiguity of 2-digit years starting January 2, 2001. I'm concerned that
      both customer employees and customer software will get confused beginning on
      that date. As I think I mentioned to this list some months ago, our
      software (and, I expect, many other software packages) can handle both
      leading-year and trailing-year formats when 2-digit years are used, as long
      as the 2-digit year is not in the range 1-31. For example, our software
      lets you specify a date-string as:

      06/30/00 or 00-06-30

      because we know that 00 must be a year, and we map it to 2000 automatically.
      We handle the European forms (day then month) by a user-settable parameter.

      Things get interesting next January, because our software actually defaults
      to YY-MM-DD, so the progression:

      01/02/01
      01/03/01
      01/04/01

      is actually the first day of February, March, and April, rather than the
      2nd, 3rd, and 4th of January. This is pretty nonobvious, at least to an
      American. But it has been our documented behavior since 1982 and we can't
      change it now.

      We have spent a great deal of effort notifying our customers, of giving them
      software to help detect problematic code, and encouraging them to test dates
      in 2001 and beyond. Several customers have reported problems in their code,
      so we know that the issues are out there. The solution is extremely simple:
      always use full four-digit years.

      If you want more details, read
      ftp://ftp.stratus.com/pub/vos/doc/y2k/sray2k21.htm.

      I have to say that I've been surprised that there has not been more mention
      of this issue in the computer press or in the popular press. It is
      essentially a y2k issue all over again. (In fact, internally we call it the
      "y2k+1" issue).

      Thanks
      PG
      --
      Paul Green, Senior Technical Consultant
      Stratus Computer, 111 Powdermill Rd, Maynard, MA 01754