Have some questions concerning practical experience with ordinal and week dates

    Message 1 of 1 , Feb 12, 2003
      I have two question, a detailed explanation follows
             Has anyone had experience using fractions of seconds (time) or UTC with ordinal dates?
             Has anyone had experience using fractions of seconds (time) with week dates?
      Could you tell me in what type of application?

      The ISO-8601 has three families of dates.
             1. Calendar Dates [5.2.1]
             2. Ordinal Dates [5.2.2]
             3. Week Dates [5.2.3]

      Components may be added to these dates
             1. Time of day [5.3]
             2. Fractions [5.3.1.3]
             3. Coordinated Universal Time UTC [5.3.4.1]
                   or UTC offset [5.3.4.2] +14:00 to -12:00

      Possible Combinations
             1. Date and Time
             2. Date, time and fraction
             3. Date, time and UTC or UTC offset
             4. Date, time, fraction and UTC or UTC offset

      From my own experience, calendar dates use all the combinations.
             Normally timestamps (date, time, fraction) are UTC.  The computer uses timestamps to record when an event occurred.   However, for practical purposes programmers convert them to local time (UTC offset)

      My only experience with ordinal dates is in accounting, when the accounting system must close the books daily, like in the commodity industry.
             We included time so that we knew when the transaction entered the system but the time was not part of the processing.  The system I worked with was not able to use UTC or UTC offset.
             Has anyone had experience using fractions of seconds (time) or UTC with ordinal dates?

      My experience with week dates is in the manufacturing and financial industry.
             We used time and UTC or UTC offset but never used fractions of time.
             Has anyone had experience using fractions of seconds (time) with week dates?