Re: ROC year used in Taiwan

  • Yifan Ji
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
      In Taiwan, there is also a pre-ROC year system counting back from
      1911 as the 1st year before the foundation of Republic of China (ROC)
      (1st pre-ROC year). 1910 was 2nd pre-ROC year. 1909 was the 3rd pre-
      ROC year, and so on. This is still used when describing history,
      including years of birth of those who were born in 1911 or earlier.
      Dr. Sun Yat-sen, founding father of the modern China, was born on
      1866-11-12, which was also the 46th pre-ROC year.

      However, I, as a Chinese citizen from Taiwanese, oppose continued
      use of both ROC year & pre-ROC year because:

      (1)They add unnecessary conversion cumbersome. Taiwanese people
      cannot avoid international common era year entirely whether for now
      or history. For example, saying the Dutch people occupied Taiwan in
      the 288th pre-ROC year rather than 1624 is not so meaningful.

      (2)Again, it is too political, as I have said on 2000-04-05 in my
      message "ROC year used in Taiwan".

      In fact, Taiwan was ceded to Japan in 1895 before the foundation of
      Republic of China in 1912. Japan gave up Taiwan in 1945 after defeat
      of World War II. When the Communist founded the People's Republic of
      China on 1949-10-01, they abolished the ROC year in favor of common
      era year. After 1949, many nationalist politicians retreated from
      mainland China had brainwashed Taiwanese's minds by force. Imposing
      ROC & pre-ROC years upon Taiwanese people is just for these
      politicians to symbolize their belief (they wanted to fight back the
      Communist after major defeat).

      The Nationalist Party, after ruling for more than 50 years,
      recently failed Taiwanese presidential election on 2000-03-18, the
      Democratic Progressive Party candidate Chen Shui-bian won. He will be
      inaugurated on 2000-05-20. Perhaps the ROC year will be phased out
      within his 4-year term (after that, he may try to run one more term
      but not two), and I look forward to seeing that.

      Sincerely,

      Mr. Yifan Ji