Legal use of 'ISO 8601' ?

  • maxlschmidt
    Message 1 of 1 , Sep 23, 2002
      Hello All,

      hoping it's the right place for meeting the experts,
      I would like to ask a question about legal usage of the
      phrase 'ISO 8601'.

      Since a new PDA application is going to be released soon,
      this Palm app provides weeknumber calculations as:
      - none
      - absolute
      - according ISO 8601
      - US style
      which the user can select from a menu.

      Further it can display the date in ISO 8601 style if the user
      selects this.

      Both the menu and selection switch are written as 'ISO 8601' to
      provide a clear choice for the user - the product website will
      contain links to the relevant ISO 8601 sites later on.

      Now that the ISO is <selling> the standard paper could mean that
      no one is granted the right to use this phrase within a commercial
      product without paying a fee or whatever hassel. Thus I'm concerned
      that after the PDA product is on the market, the ISO might sue me for
      that reason - not sure. I was trying to find information about,
      without success.

      --> the question:
      Is there any evidence that the use of the phrase 'ISO 8601' within
      any product does NOT impose a violation of copyrights etc. ? ? ?

      Thank a lot for any advice!
      Max

      BTW.
      If anyone of you owns a Palm device, you may find, that the weeknumber
      is implemented according ISO 8601 - no matter if the week starts at
      Monday or Sunday (4th Jan -> week 1).
      Strange ? (the standard is based on Monday)
      (wonder if all US-based Palm users welcome the builtin weeknumer...)