ROC year used in Taiwan

  • Yifan Ji
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 4, 2000
      In Taiwan, there is an ROC ordinal year system counting from 1912
      as the 1st year of the Republic of China (ROC)(foundation). Now it is
      89th ROC year. This system can be found on the websites in Taiwan and
      is officially used there, but I, as a citizen from there, strongly
      discourage its use because:

      (1)It can conflict with 2-digit common-era (CE, the same as AD, but I
      prefer CE) year, e.g. on the bottom of English page of Taiwanese
      Legislative Yuan at http://www.ly.gov.tw/lyeng.htm
      88/05/01 which could mean 88th ROC year (1999) or 1988. It cause 11-
      year difference and is confusing. It requires wasteful conversion
      back and forth (Gregorian calendar months & days are already in use
      there).

      (2)It is too political. Most nations no longer formally recognize the
      ROC governing Taiwan. Instead, they now recognize the People's
      Republic of China (PRC) as the only legitimate Chinese government and
      Taiwan is part of China (which would mean the PRC, and the preword of
      the PRC Constitution claims Taiwan). Therefore, it serve no good
      purpose except to highlight how long the ROC has existed. Some
      democratic activists oppose its use because foundation of the ROC in
      1912 was an old history.

      Nowadays, even more and more Taiwanese use CE year alone without
      even using ROC year in parenthesis, such as 2000 alone rather than
      2000 (89th ROC year). I think the ROC year should be abandoned in
      favor of CE year (some others have similar proposal as well). But
      before the ROC year is officially abandoned, everyone visiting
      Taiwanese websites would still face mix-up of CE & ROC years. The
      best solution is to use 4-digit ISO-compliant CE year.

      Sincerely,

      Mr Yifan Ji

      PS Caution: Some Chinese & Taiwanese websites show mm/dd/yyyy order
      for dates. I do not understand why they do so. It is not only
      confusing but also a non-sense there geographically.
    • Yifan Ji
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 24, 2000
        In Taiwan, there is also a pre-ROC year system counting back from
        1911 as the 1st year before the foundation of Republic of China (ROC)
        (1st pre-ROC year). 1910 was 2nd pre-ROC year. 1909 was the 3rd pre-
        ROC year, and so on. This is still used when describing history,
        including years of birth of those who were born in 1911 or earlier.
        Dr. Sun Yat-sen, founding father of the modern China, was born on
        1866-11-12, which was also the 46th pre-ROC year.

        However, I, as a Chinese citizen from Taiwanese, oppose continued
        use of both ROC year & pre-ROC year because:

        (1)They add unnecessary conversion cumbersome. Taiwanese people
        cannot avoid international common era year entirely whether for now
        or history. For example, saying the Dutch people occupied Taiwan in
        the 288th pre-ROC year rather than 1624 is not so meaningful.

        (2)Again, it is too political, as I have said on 2000-04-05 in my
        message "ROC year used in Taiwan".

        In fact, Taiwan was ceded to Japan in 1895 before the foundation of
        Republic of China in 1912. Japan gave up Taiwan in 1945 after defeat
        of World War II. When the Communist founded the People's Republic of
        China on 1949-10-01, they abolished the ROC year in favor of common
        era year. After 1949, many nationalist politicians retreated from
        mainland China had brainwashed Taiwanese's minds by force. Imposing
        ROC & pre-ROC years upon Taiwanese people is just for these
        politicians to symbolize their belief (they wanted to fight back the
        Communist after major defeat).

        The Nationalist Party, after ruling for more than 50 years,
        recently failed Taiwanese presidential election on 2000-03-18, the
        Democratic Progressive Party candidate Chen Shui-bian won. He will be
        inaugurated on 2000-05-20. Perhaps the ROC year will be phased out
        within his 4-year term (after that, he may try to run one more term
        but not two), and I look forward to seeing that.

        Sincerely,

        Mr. Yifan Ji