Re: ISO 8601 and two digit year (more).

  • g1smd@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 1 , Mar 25, 2000
      On 2000-Mar-24 Nagi wrote:

      > Thank you Ian for the lengthy reply and some great insights and
      > weblinks. The problem I am trying to solve is - the user is used
      > to inputting 2 digit years in the application. Our database always
      > stores 4 digit years. However, before I insert the data, I need to
      > convert the user provided 2 digit year to a 4 digit year. This is
      > where I am not sure how to set the ground rules. I hope that helps
      > you understand the context of my question.

      [2000-Mar-25]

      Yes. This is a problem. You need to examine what data is going in, and set
      the 100-year range accordingly. If the application involves (for example)
      Date of Birth information, you need to see what age are all of the people
      who are being stored. If it is always children, then set a pivot date of say
      1970 or 1980, and you will not have to modify your program until 2070. If
      you deal only with elderly people then you can just prefix all dates as
      19xx, as you will not encounter a 60 year old person born after 1999, until
      after 2059. People born in 18xx will already cause you problems, unless you
      run the window from say 1890 (this allows a 110-year old person to exist in
      your data) to 1989 (no-one under 11 can exist in your data this year, under
      12 next year, and so on - when this figure reaches say, 50, you need to move
      your pivot dates again).

      This is a difficult problem, and will take a lot of time to resolve with
      your client. Any Windowing solution will need constant review to ensure that
      no-one tries to input data that could be wrongly interpreted by 100 years.
      It would be easier in the long run, to convince your client that the use of
      two-digit year date formats is extremely unwise. However, if they still
      insist that a two-digit year date must be used for input, you must insist
      that all dates are always immediately displayed and printed using all four
      digits, so that wrong data can be easily spotted. For example, in 2006, a
      user types 02/02/02 for a date of Birth of a person 104 years old, and the
      dispay shows 2002 Feb 02, so alerting someone to the fact the computer
      assumes that this person is only 4 years old.

      The biggest problem is that you may need different Windows for different
      data fields. For a mortgage database of standard 30 year terms for example,
      you may require three fields: Date of Birth, Date Mortgage Started, and
      Completion Date. There will be no-one aged less than 18 in your data, but
      some people may be up to 70 or 80 years old. Current mortgages will have
      been started sometime in the last 30 years, and more will be taken out in at
      least the next 30 we will assume. Current mortgages will complete sometime
      in the next 30 years. Mortgages taken out in 30 years time will complete in
      60 years time. So your data could span 140 years (from oldest Date of Birth,
      to final payment of a mortgage completing in 60 years time), and requires
      different windows rules for different fields. Now you know why so many
      people recommend using all four digits for the year, and adopting the ISO
      8601 Year-Month-Day date format.

      Perhaps you already know all these things, but I hope this helps. Plese see
      if you can find the IBM Year 2000 Book on the WWW, this discusses Windowing
      in more depth. I have a link to an old copy of this document on my Web Site.
      The publication number is GC28-1251-xx (where xx is the version number from
      01 to perhaps 07 or 08). You may also find it by following links from IBMs
      main Web Site at <http://www.ibm.com/>.

      There are a number of great Web Pages about the ISO 8601 standard. Follow
      the various links from my Web Site to pages written by Markus Kuhn, Steve
      Adams, and others. These people are the real gurus! A short text at (or
      linked from) <http://how.to/FormatDates/>. is also useful. There are many
      others: try your favourite Search Engine for more:
      <http://www.savvysearch.com/> or whatever.

      By the way. Which country are you in? I'm in England, UK, Europe. This isn't
      obvious from my email address, or Web Page address either.

      There is an email discussion group about ISO 8601. If you want to join, then
      visit <http://www.saqqara.demon.co.uk/>. It is a low volume list, but
      brings many of the core 'activists' worldwide together, to share ideas.

      <mail://g1smd@...>

      <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>
      <http://www.aegis1.demon.co.uk/y2k/y2k.htm>

      <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      [2000-03-25]

      .end