Re: I am interested in your solution. This is my solution for 98% of the world.

  • laartphoto
    Message 1 of 2 , Jul 12, 2002
      What's your point? I don't see that you've actually stated a
      solution, just restated the problem.

      8601's +/-HHMM meets all the requirements of the problem...
      A) It's compact, 5 characters rather than "who knows how many".
      B) It is numerical, you don't need to do character comparisons and
      lookups.
      C) It is clear, concise, and unambiguous.

      Are you saying that you can take the country code from the sender's
      server domain and "_guess_" the offset? That is very very bad.

      One should *never* guess at anything. If you're not told
      specifically, you raise an exception. Or, if the parties agreed on
      using 8601, you know they meant Z.

      You mentioned Arizona, do you realize that some of the indian
      reservations use DST? As I understand it from a ranger at the Grand
      Canyon; the Navajo don't do what the white man does and the Zuni
      don't do what the Navajo do.

      Do you realize that El Paso, Texas is in a different time zone from
      the rest of Texas?