Settings in e-mail headers

  • Han Maenen
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 4, 2002
      I may have found a way to eliminate mm-dd-yyyy and AM/PM times from the
      headers of e-mails. Although my computer was set to ISO 8601, my e-mail
      headers were in English and used the US format .

      This is what I did:

      1. I had my computer set to Nederland when I bought it.
      2. Now I set it to USA-English.
      3. In this format I modified for my own use the decimal sign, grouping of
      numbers and system of measurement. Then, in order to get ISO time and dates,
      I modified the corresponding US formats, and it seems to work.
      So now, in order to avoid US formats in in my e-mail headers I am using
      heavily modified USA-English settings.
    • Fred Bone
      Message 2 of 3 , Jun 5, 2002
        Han Maenen said:

        > I may have found a way to eliminate mm-dd-yyyy and AM/PM times from the
        > headers of e-mails. Although my computer was set to ISO 8601, my e-mail
        > headers were in English and used the US format .

        Which headers are you referring to?

        The Date: header is standardised, and must be in the form
        [Weekday,] dd Mmm yyyy hh:mm[:ss] timezone
        since it's intended to be "read" by programs (mail transfer agents
        and mail user agents) and not by people: your mail client should
        reinterpret it when displaying the relevant information to you. It
        does not contain mm-dd-yyyy date or AM/PM time.

        The Received: headers are not withing your control at all, because
        they're created by the various mail agents that handle the message on
        its way between systems. However, they should be using the same form
        of date as the Date: header (though failure to do so is less likely
        to cause problems).

        I can't think of any other (standard) headers that would usually
        contain dates.
      • Han Maenen
        Message 3 of 3 , Jun 6, 2002
          I am referring to headers that show in the body of the messages, things like
          the one below: Original Messages.

          Before I made these changes, it would have looked like this: