Re: [ISO8601] How do standards come to be?

  • Peter Haas
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 28, 2002
      On 2002-03-28T15:32:49, woudenberg wrote a long posting over the
      importance of horse's asses.

      But I can't detect any importance for ISO8601.

      Please hj, can you omit such off topic postings.

      And please set your Mail-Client to 'only text', you produce oversized
      postings because of text plus a html attachment with the same contents.

      However, I can't abstain from any comments. I will attempt to find a
      junction to the subject standard. :-)

      The maximal gauge in the english kingdom was determine per rule:
      lesser than 5 foot.
      The first english railroad gauge was 1422 mm (4 foot, 8 inch), any years
      later George Stephenson have increased to 1435 mm. The modern european
      high speed railroad tracks use 1432 mm. There are many railroad tracks
      with different gauges. I have found a norwegian website with over 50
      different gauges: http://www.urvik.no/HMjK/sporvidde.en.html (change
      'en' to 'de' or 'no' for any translations).

      The consequence of the differences: the passengers must change trains or
      the train must change the gauge (particularly for industrial transport).
      Therefore the most countries have change its railroad tracks to a common
      standard, mostly 1435 mm (4 foot, 8.5 inch). But today we can find
      important differences in Europe at least for Spain, Portugal (1676 mm)
      and Russia (1.524 mm = 5 foot, partially changed to 1435 mm).

      I hope the ISO 8601 standard need not over 100 years to realize.

      In the bureau of mayor in my hometown the directive to use the ISO date
      was withdraw last year. :-(
      The argument: The people don't accept the 'new' date. (new = 1993)

      Cheers Peter.