Re: [ISO8601] Re SQL.. Periord or comma for fractions of time.

  • Peter Haas
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 25, 2002
      On 2002-03-25T14:33:46Z, woudenberg wrote:

      > What percentage of the software in the industry will determine that two dates
      > are equal if the only difference is the comma and the period?

      Sorry, but this is not a problem of a standard, this is a problem of the
      software developer. Sure, there are many bad software, but this is
      caused by bad software developer or by deficient awareness of the
      problem, not by the standard.

      You can not use a representation based on ISO 8601 standard to compare
      two timestamp values. To compare two timestamp values, you must know,
      that every timestamp value represent a period of time, not a point of
      time. To compare, you must use the least ordinal time raster, that
      contain both periods. This is a simple mathematically operation, however
      for a simple implementation you must convert the values in a binary
      representation.

      BTW: Comma or period ist not really a practically problem, but try to
      compare 2002-03-26T00:10 and 2002-W13. :-)

      > I think it would be best to have one option. What do other think?

      Why you would like to have a furthermore option? This don't make the
      problem more easy, rather more complicated.

      Cheers Peter.