ISO 8601 references in W3C specifications

  • Aron Roberts
    Message 1 of 2 , Feb 26, 2002
      Tex Texin wrote:

      >AHA, I just found an old e-mail that lists a number of w3c and related
      >standards that reference 8601:
      >(Extracted from an email from Aron Roberts. I am not sure if this mail
      >isnt in turn an extract from somewhere else.)
      >
      > Some examples -- which include working drafts and other
      >'recommendation-track' documents at various stages -- include:
      >
      > - XML Schema Datatypes
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema-2
      >
      > - Resource Description Framework (RDF),
      > via the optional incorporation of Dublin Core metadata
      > (as per the discussion in section 7.4)
      > http://www.w3.org/TR/REC-rdf-syntax/
      >
      >[... many others omitted here in the interest of brevity ...]

      This message that Tex cited, including the rather bold opinions
      below, is entirely mine, and thus I'm solely responsible for any
      inaccuracies and mistaken prognostications ;-).

      > The inclusion of XML Schema, RELAX, and TREX on this list is of
      >considerable significance. These are the three leading,
      >next-generation schema languages for describing eXtensible Markup
      >Language (XML) document types.
      >
      > If present trends hold, a significant portion of the world's
      >structured data will at some point in its transmission, use, or
      >storage be marked up in XML. By implication, dates and times
      >appearing in XML documents or data streams -- and which are
      >explicitly defined by one of these schema languages as date- or
      >time-related elements or attributes -- would thus need to conform to
      >datatypes derived from ISO 8601.

      Essentially, I'm predicting that XML -- more than any other effort
      or technological development -- will be the driving force behind
      widespread 'real world' adoption of ISO 8601 date and time formats.
      We'll see if this comes to pass ...

      Aron Roberts Workstation Software Support Group . 221 Evans Hall
      University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3808 USA
      aron@... . +1 510-642-5974 . fax 510-643-5385
    • Stephen GOULD
      Message 2 of 2 , Feb 27, 2002
        I agree with Aron hence the need to provide a simple structured templates for
        SME software developers that they can incorporate in their software application
        developments.

        This applies to not only dates but also:

        1 Organisation communication channels
        2 Organisation physical location
        3 Individual communication channels
        4 Individual physical location

        1 Information relating to the name and communication channels of any
        organisation
        eg Tel
        Fax
        Web
        E-mail
        ref http://www.oic.org/3d1.htm

        2 Information relating to a person and their communications channels within
        that organisation
        eg Tel
        Fax
        Mobile
        E-mail
        Pager
        http://www.oic.org/3d1g3c.htm

        3 Address details for physical delivery or personal visits

        These are the type of utilities that should be provided by the ebXML
        Repositories for SME software developers.

        They should also be used by the IT departments so that the SMEs can
        send and receive the appropriate e-business information

        Stephen GOULD