[ISO8601] ODP Listing Update and Nominations.

  • g1smd@amsat.org
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 1, 2002
      [2002-Feb-01]

      The ISO 8601 listings on the Open Directory Project are
      as up to date as I can possibly make them. If I have
      missed a useful site, then please use the submission
      form to notify me of extra things to include.

      The Section has a 'Cool Site'. Currently this is noted as
      the Markus Kuhn site. However, there are several newer sites
      that I feel are very good sites. If no one here objects, or
      suggests anything better, then I propose to mark two sites
      as 'Cool Sites' to replace the site written by Markus Kuhn.

      The two nominations are:
      - The Best of Dates, The Worst of Dates - Gilbert Healton
      - The Mathematics of the ISO 8601 Calendar - R.H van Gent

      These sites deserve the award not just for being very well
      written documents, with plenty of useful links to further
      resources, but for also being written by authors who have
      been very pro-active in updating the information and the
      links to keep it fresh and up to date.

      Has anyone else found any useful links, or have any other
      nominations? Remember, to qualify as a 'Cool Site' the site
      has to give good information, be up to date, have a good
      layout, not contain broken HTML or scripts, and have links
      that are working. The site should be the best in its class.
      As ODP editor there is leeway to have either one or two
      'Cool Sites' at any time, but no more than two.

      Visit:
      <http://dmoz.org/Science/Reference/Standards/Individual_Standards/ISO_8601/>
      to see the complete list of sites, and to submit others.

      <mail://g1smd@...>

      <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
      <http://home.freeuk.net/g1smd/>
      <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>
      <http://dmoz.org/Science/Reference/Standards/Individual_Standards/ISO_8601/>

      <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
      <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>

      [2002-02-01]

      .end
    • Stephen GOULD
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2002
        Hi Ian - One site you may want to include and people will find useful if involved
        with E-commerce is ISO 8601 drop down menus.

        http://www.oic.org/P/CPTAECE1.htm
        ISO 8601 Drop Down Menus

        These menus have been incorporated into an E-commerce application call the
        Tender Information Management Service [TIMS]
        http://www.oic.org/guest.htm

        The date codes for the EII Gregorian Calendar can be viewed on

        http://www.oic.org/cpt/CPTAEDM1.htm
        Gregorian Calendar with ISO 8601 E-commerce codes

        regards

        Peter HENRY
        TIMS Co-ordinator
        OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

        On 1 Feb 02, at 23:10, g1smd@... wrote:

        > [2002-Feb-01]
        >

        > The ISO 8601 listings on the Open Directory Project are
        > as up to date as I can possibly make them. If I have
        > missed a useful site, then please use the submission
        > form to notify me of extra things to include.
        >

        > The Section has a 'Cool Site'. Currently this is noted as
        > the Markus Kuhn site. However, there are several newer sites
        > that I feel are very good sites. If no one here objects, or
        > suggests anything better, then I propose to mark two sites
        > as 'Cool Sites' to replace the site written by Markus Kuhn.
        >
        > The two nominations are:
        > - The Best of Dates, The Worst of Dates - Gilbert Healton
        > - The Mathematics of the ISO 8601 Calendar - R.H van Gent
        >
        > These sites deserve the award not just for being very well
        > written documents, with plenty of useful links to further
        > resources, but for also being written by authors who have
        > been very pro-active in updating the information and the
        > links to keep it fresh and up to date.
        >
        > Has anyone else found any useful links, or have any other
        > nominations? Remember, to qualify as a 'Cool Site' the site
        > has to give good information, be up to date, have a good
        > layout, not contain broken HTML or scripts, and have links
        > that are working. The site should be the best in its class.
        > As ODP editor there is leeway to have either one or two
        > 'Cool Sites' at any time, but no more than two.
        >
        > Visit:
        > <http://dmoz.org/Science/Reference/Standards/Individual_Standards/ISO_8601/>
        > to see the complete list of sites, and to submit others.
        >

        > Cheers,
        >
        > Ian.
        >

        > <mail://g1smd@...>
        >
        > <http://www.qsl.net/g1smd/>
        > <http://home.freeuk.net/g1smd/>
        > <http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/dstrange/y2k.htm>
        > <http://dmoz.org/Science/Reference/Standards/Individual_Standards/ISO_8601/>
        >
        > <ftp://ftp.funet.fi/pub/ham/misc/g1smd.zip>
        > <ftp://ftp.qsl.net/pub/g1smd/>
        >

        > [2002-02-01]
        >
        > .end

      • Peter Haas
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 8, 2002
          Hi,

          On 2002-02-08T12:46:23Z you wrote:
          > http://www.oic.org/cpt/CPTAEDM1.htm
          > Gregorian Calendar with ISO 8601 E-commerce codes

          There are links to a other website, e.g.
          http://www.halisa.net/cpt/d/AT2003.htm

          On this site the first week day is sunday. This is not ISO 8601 conform.

          Furthermore there is not a identifiably week number definition. :-(
          In other words, this I do not know any country, that use this week
          numbers.

          Have you any relationship to this site?
          Can you tell me the week number definition, the name and the area of
          validity of this definition?

          Background: I have a site, which like to describe the different week
          number definitions and the countries which use this.
          http://home.t-online.de/home/PeterJHaas/DateTime/WeekNumber.htm (german)
          http://home.t-online.de/home/PeterJHaas/DateTime/WeekNumber_en.htm
          (english, but only a extract of the german site).

          Week number tables sorted by country and sorted by definition:
          http://home.t-online.de/home/PeterJHaas/DateTime/wncen.htm
          http://home.t-online.de/home/PeterJHaas/DateTime/wnden.htm

          A goal is, to build a database with the infos, to support software to
          use a correct local or use dependent week number.

          To avoid misapprehension, I consider not to support this for data
          exchange, there is the ISO 8601 week number definition the only
          reasonable definition.

          Cheers, Peter.
        • Stephen GOULD
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2002
            Peter - thank you pointing out that with ISO 8601 the week starts on a Monday.

            We have changed all the calenders http://www.halisa.net/cpt/d and provided
            links to the ISO 8601 standard URLS and your site for each year.

            The next step will be to change the week numbers.

            At least we have all the calendars for w/s on Sunday !

            regards

            Stephen GOULD