Re: [ISO8601] ISO 8601 document - The Best Of Dates, The Worst of Dates

  • Ed Davies
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 26, 2002
      g_healton wrote:

      > I have made major revisions to my document that provides information
      > about date and times. This includes a substantial section on the
      > common and technical use of ISO 8601.
      >
      > While the document is at
      > http://www.exit109.com/~ghealton/y2k/yrexamples.html

      > Any feedback would be appreciated.

      An excellent document. I'll add a link from my 8601 page. I have
      a few comments though.

      The first is some text which could cause errors in the way people use
      ISO 8601 dates. Section 4.2.3's paragraph on time zones says:

      > A notation of =hhmm (basic format, =hh-mm extended format), where
      > "=" is a sign ("+" or "-")

      I think the hyphen between "hh" and "mm" should be a colon.

      A few very minor typos which happened to catch my eye:

      Section 4.4:

      > As long as you are willing to ignore the 1582 (1752 in Britain and
      > it's colonies)

      Shouldn't have an apostrophy in "it's". "Britain and it is colonies"
      wouldn't be right.

      Section 7.3.1:

      > "that 39 years away, why worry?"

      Should be an "is" or "'s" after "that".

      Section 10.11:

      > If you determine the extra effort is warranted to copy with occasional
      > time of day corrections from operators...

      I assume "copy" should be "cope".

      Ed Davies.

      <http://www.edavies.nildram.co.uk/iso8601.html>