Re: Digest Number 13

  • Fred Bone
    Message 1 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
      "Steve" said:

      > This begs a question - is there an official listing
      > of all the names/abbreviations of the time zones
      > available? For example, I thought BST (British Summer Time)
      > was a standard till I found BST also meant Bering Standard Time.

      The point of using numeric values is exactly that there are no
      international agreements on names for timezones, *and* in their
      absence much duplication.

      > And what about the ISO8601 time standard, when included with a
      > date? To be fully compliant there must be a 'T' between the
      > date and time but it looks a bit daft eg. 2000-01-07T23:46.
      > I don't think persuaded webmasters will be keen on this.

      However, the "Note" to the relevant paragraph does say that the T may
      be omitted "by mutual agreement". And if you regard the date and time
      as two separate entities (separated, perhaps, by a space?) then the
      question doesn't arise ...

      .. FB
    • Pete Forman
      Message 2 of 2 , Jan 10, 2000
        Fred Bone writes:
        > However, the "Note" to the relevant paragraph does say that the T
        > may be omitted "by mutual agreement". And if you regard the date
        > and time as two separate entities (separated, perhaps, by a space?)
        > then the question doesn't arise ...

        That doesn't wash. If the local time is other than UTC, then times in
        the vicinity of midnight affect the date. If you were specifying the
        time zone offset, you would need to do so for both your entities.
        Taking things ad absurdum, the time zone offset would be a third
        entity to be combined with the other two. We seem to be straying
        rather far from ISO8601.
        --
        Pete Forman
        Western Geophysical