Re: Time as well

  • Pete Forman
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
      steve@... writes:
      > This begs a question - is there an official listing of all the
      > names/abbreviations of the time zones available? For example, I
      > thought BST (British Summer Time) was a standard till I found BST
      > also meant Bering Standard Time.

      There is a very comprehensive listing available. I got a version of
      it a while back as <ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata1997f.tar.gz>.

      > And what about the ISO8601 time standard, when included with a
      > date?

      The only non-numeric time zone designator is 'Z' for UTC. If that is
      not present, the time is local. The difference between local time and
      UTC may only be represented as plus or minus a number of hours, and
      optionally minutes.
      --
      Pete Forman
      Western Geophysical
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
        In his message "Time as well," on 7 Jan 2000 23:58:12 -0000, Steve
        Adams wrote:

        >Just to say that I have now changed the description of
        >this ONElist community to state the use of ISO8601 time
        >formats as well as date formats. There are far too many
        >sites giving time information with no indication of the
        >time zone.
        >This begs a question - is there an official listing
        >of all the names/abbreviations of the time zones
        >available? For example, I thought BST (British Summer Time)
        >was a standard till I found BST also meant Bering Standard Time.

        There are several problems with using abbreviations for time zones.
        One of these is readily apparent from Steve's example, and was
        described in Fred Bone's posting: there are several cases where the
        same abbreviation is used for at least two different world time
        zones. (As an example, I believe CST is another abbreviation shared
        by two world time zones.)

        Moreover, the abbreviations for time zone(s) in one's own country
        might not be readily familar to those visiting a Web site from a
        distant country, for example.

        Finally, the names of these zones are subject to the usual vagaries
        of human politics.

        For all of these reasons, it is far preferable to simply provide
        the offset from Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).

        Aron Roberts Workstation Software Support Group . 221 Evans Hall
        University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3808 USA
        aron@... . (510) 642-5974 . fax (510) 643-5385