Time as well

  • steve@xxxxxxx.xxxxx.xx.xx
    Message 1 of 3 , Jan 7, 2000
      Just to say that I have now changed the description of
      this ONElist community to state the use of ISO8601 time
      formats as well as date formats. There are far too many
      sites giving time information with no indication of the
      time zone.
      This begs a question - is there an official listing
      of all the names/abbreviations of the time zones
      available? For example, I thought BST (British Summer Time)
      was a standard till I found BST also meant Bering Standard Time.
      And what about the ISO8601 time standard, when included with a
      date? To be fully compliant there must be a 'T' between the
      date and time but it looks a bit daft eg. 2000-01-07T23:46.
      I don't think persuaded webmasters will be keen on this.
    • Pete Forman
      Message 2 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
        steve@... writes:
        > This begs a question - is there an official listing of all the
        > names/abbreviations of the time zones available? For example, I
        > thought BST (British Summer Time) was a standard till I found BST
        > also meant Bering Standard Time.

        There is a very comprehensive listing available. I got a version of
        it a while back as <ftp://elsie.nci.nih.gov/pub/tzdata1997f.tar.gz>.

        > And what about the ISO8601 time standard, when included with a
        > date?

        The only non-numeric time zone designator is 'Z' for UTC. If that is
        not present, the time is local. The difference between local time and
        UTC may only be represented as plus or minus a number of hours, and
        optionally minutes.
        --
        Pete Forman
        Western Geophysical
        Message 3 of 3 , Jan 10, 2000
          In his message "Time as well," on 7 Jan 2000 23:58:12 -0000, Steve
          Adams wrote:

          >Just to say that I have now changed the description of
          >this ONElist community to state the use of ISO8601 time
          >formats as well as date formats. There are far too many
          >sites giving time information with no indication of the
          >time zone.
          >This begs a question - is there an official listing
          >of all the names/abbreviations of the time zones
          >available? For example, I thought BST (British Summer Time)
          >was a standard till I found BST also meant Bering Standard Time.

          There are several problems with using abbreviations for time zones.
          One of these is readily apparent from Steve's example, and was
          described in Fred Bone's posting: there are several cases where the
          same abbreviation is used for at least two different world time
          zones. (As an example, I believe CST is another abbreviation shared
          by two world time zones.)

          Moreover, the abbreviations for time zone(s) in one's own country
          might not be readily familar to those visiting a Web site from a
          distant country, for example.

          Finally, the names of these zones are subject to the usual vagaries
          of human politics.

          For all of these reasons, it is far preferable to simply provide
          the offset from Universal Coordinated Time (UTC).

          Aron Roberts Workstation Software Support Group . 221 Evans Hall
          University of California, Berkeley, CA 94720-3808 USA
          aron@... . (510) 642-5974 . fax (510) 643-5385