How do I show in ISO 8601 the first quarter of every year [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

  • john.hockaday@ga.gov.au
    Message 1 of 3 , Oct 22, 2009
      Hi,

      How does one show the first quarter (January to March) of every year using ISO 8601. I know that recurring is represented by "R" and that a period for the first quarter of a year can be represented as "P3M" so I can show that the first quarter of 1990 is "1990-01/P3M". However, if I try to show this as recursive "R/1990-01/P3M" then, I think, this indicates every quarter from 1990.

      How do I show that there are gaps for the other three quarters of the years? IE. Every January to March from 1990.

      I would also prefer to not have to start in a particular year (IE. Every January to March) but I will if I have to.

      Thanks.

      Jhock96
      Message 2 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009
        I'm not sure you can. In 2004 version, section 2.1.17 is clear that recurring time interval is defined as consecutive time periods.

        What you want requires a specification of two durations, the initial period, and the repeat rate. ISO8601 does not appear to provide for this case.

        Even if it did, I think the form would be too arcane to be considered human readable. If it were defined, a compliant computer would have to be able to read it. However, I think it is not defined.

        Message 3 of 3 , Nov 6, 2009
          > "R/1990-01/P3M" then, I think, this indicates every quarter from 1990.

          I agree with that interpretation.

          On the other hand, I expect that you and your partners in interchange could mutually agree that it means what you want; repeated three-month periods beginning each January first.