Re: UTC didn't exist before 1961

    Message 1 of 19 , May 31, 2009
      > In the future, I will not emit ISO 8601 dates with a Z suffix or a time zone unless the date is on or after January 1, 1972

      Personally, I think that would be fairly silly.
    • Deckers, Michael
      Message 2 of 19 , Jun 2, 2009
        On 2009-05-26, pqrc96 penned thusly:

        > In the future, I will not emit ISO 8601 dates with a Z suffix or a time zone
        > unless the date is on or after January 1, 1972, the date of the formal
        > adoption of the name Coordinated Universal Time. I will reject incoming dates
        > in that format if I am able to determine that time zones had not been adopted
        > in the place in question on the date stated. I will reject incoming dates
        > with a time zone offset that is not a multiple of 15 minutes.

        That's fine if your application imposes such restrictions, but it is
        not what ISO 8601 requires.

        ISO 8601 fixes some notations but it does not constrain the meaning of
        these notations. Other standards employ some of these notations and
        endow them with specific semantics.

        For ISO 8601 timestamps with and without time zone differences,
        XML Schema ([http://www.w3.org/TR/xmlschema11-2/%5d) is an example. It
        defines several operations with these timestamps (such as comparison and
        difference), and gives the semantics of these timestamps as "points on
        a time line". This is very general, and makes these notations
        usable for expressing epochs in all kinds of time scales, not just UTC
        and zone times: navigators can use it for GPS time, astronomers for TCB,
        and historians for apparent solar time at Jerusalem.

        Of course it is possible to further restrict the meaning to mean
        solar time and the civil zone times introduced since 1895, or even to
        time scales based on TAI, but this is not required by ISO 8601.

        Michael Deckers