Successful Standards Have Rules For Range and Precision

    Message 1 of 3 , May 14, 2008

      Most people wouldn't believe that today different software gets different date/time results.

      Because:

      The industry does not have date/time standards for maximum range and minimum precision.

      The industry does not have standards for maximum duration calculations or rules to minimize errors because date/time does not have associative properties.  The ISO-8601 duration can minimize the errors.

      If ISO-8601 standardized the maximum date range and a minimum time precisions:

      It would eliminate Internet, SOA and Web-services date/time interoperation incompatibility.

      It would eliminate different systems getting different results for the same date/time problem.

      See attachment for more information

      Message 2 of 3 , May 14, 2008
        > The ISO-8601 duration can minimize the errors.

        Maybe.

        > It would eliminate different systems getting different results for
        the same
        > date/time problem.

        Not so much. ISO 8601 allows for virtually unlimited range and
        precision, which is OK, for textual interchange, but impractical for
        higher performance internal representations.
        Message 3 of 3 , May 18, 2008
          In a message dated 5/14/2008 5:21:06 P.M. Central Daylight Time, PIEBALDconsult@... writes:
          Maybe.

          > It would eliminate different systems getting different results for
          the same
          > date/time problem.

          Not so much. ISO 8601 allows for virtually unlimited range and
          precision, which is OK,
          No!!! reread the article.
          I did my best to prove this is not true. Can anyone else help?
          hjw