Re: If this has been fixed, I haven't herd about it.

  • datefreak
    Message 1 of 7 , Aug 10 2:12 PM
      --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult" <PIEBALDconsult@...>
      wrote:

      > > ONLY EXACTLY on (actual local) time, ANYwhere in the world!
      >
      > Yes, but... time zone isn't strictly decided by location on the
      globe,
      > there are other factors.

      What other factors?

      Time zone is not defined in ISO 8601. Actual time shift between local
      (or standard) time and UTC is.

      And there, GPS comes in.
      With ISO 8601 implemented correctly by locally competent authorities,
      for ANY spot in the world the time difference between local time and
      UTC is known at ANY moment, all discontinuities in local time scale
      accounted for. Thus, Z and GPS data combined, it should be simple to
      show correct actual local time there and then.

      (If very rare "black spots" where ISO 8601 might not be implemented
      correctly might still exist, of course there only Z is applicable.)

      Regards,
      Jan
      Message 2 of 7 , Aug 24 5:09 PM
        > With ISO 8601 implemented correctly by locally competent authorities,

        (So tempted... so tempted...)

        > for ANY spot in the world the time difference between local time and
        > UTC is known at ANY moment, all discontinuities in local time scale
        > accounted for. Thus, Z and GPS data combined, it should be simple to
        > show correct actual local time there and then.

        I think my point may have been that you can't go directly from GPS-to-
        offset, you'll need some sort of lookup table (which must be kept
        updated) of GPS-to-region because time zone lines wander and such.

        > (If very rare "black spots" where ISO 8601 might not be implemented
        > correctly might still exist, of course there only Z is applicable.)

        Right, I understand Antarctic stations use Z or something (their
        national offset?), but I could be very wrong.