If this has been fixed, I haven't herd about it.

    Message 1 of 7 , Jul 7, 2007
      If you schedule a time to call someone, and you take your cell phone or appointment software to Europe, you will be reminded about a half dozen hours to early.  If you travel the world a big problem.  If you travel the US a smaller problem.

      Fixing this problem is not big and is possible.  The world needs a standard.

      The other stuff makes the problem big.
      We need to know our limitations

      hjw

      It would be nice if every watch, computer, cell phone, electric oven,
      car or whatever hardware, internally as well as for interchange only
      would use a Universal Atomic Second Number (kind of UTC measured in
      seconds) being transmitted continuously,
      and would give it's user the
      opportunity to make it convert that to any calendar of his own choice
      and show that on the display, using GPS to calculate correct Z .....

      THAT would really ease things up and facilitate simple formulas!
      And would completely skip your challenge for new Babbages or Newtons! (this was meant as humor, sory I didn't mean it to be serious hjw)

      Regards,
      Jan

      See what's free at AOL.com.
      Message 2 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
        You must communicate the scheduled timepoint in UTC.

        If _you_ travel, _you_ must keep track of how that timepoint translates
        in _your_ current timezone.
      • datefreak
        Message 3 of 7 , Jul 8, 2007
          --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, hjwoudenberg@... wrote:

          > If you schedule a time to call someone, and you take your cell
          phone or
          > appointment software to Europe, you will be reminded about a half
          dozen hours to
          > early. If you travel the world a big problem. If you travel the
          US a
          > smaller problem.
          >
          > Fixing this problem is not big and is possible. The world needs a
          standard.

          "The world" HAS that necessary standard. It's called: ISO 8601.
          In that standard, both UTC and Z have been defined well enough. And
          combined with GPS, that would do the trick completely.
          Because then, the second part of my statement (which you forgot to
          emphasize) comes in. If UTC and GPS data will be combined in all
          appliances concerned, you NEVER would be reminded early or late, but
          ONLY EXACTLY on (actual local) time, ANYwhere in the world!

          This very simple solution has been known for quite a lot of decades
          already, and has been strongly advocated since by a vast majority of
          right-thinking people. Only problem is: both Government AND Industry,
          because of reasons obscure being reluctant to accept AND consequently
          actually implement it within reasonable time.
          That's a well known world wide general problem. Just think about why
          this discussion group origionally has been started for: the actual
          universal integral implementation of ISO 8601 .....

          > The other stuff makes the problem big.

          What stuff do you refer to?

          Regards,
          Jan
          Message 4 of 7 , Jul 14, 2007
            > ONLY EXACTLY on (actual local) time, ANYwhere in the world!

            Yes, but... time zone isn't strictly decided by location on the globe,
            there are other factors.
          • dmweiten
            Message 5 of 7 , Jul 15, 2007
              Hi there,

              Very good points. I considered this issue at some length when
              designing the time subsystem on the NxtPhase Relays and Recorders some
              years ago.

              I saw three issues:
              1. The format and frame of reference for time sync source
              We used IRIG-B signal source, often local time, sometimes
              with Daylight Savings, often without. Sometimes with IEEE-1344
              extensions so it would tell us what the offset was, often
              without. What drove me crazy was when they said there was no
              DST but then you get an hours' jump at the DST shift time.
              2. System's internal representation and frame of refence of time
              This was always UTC. Our devices were intended for wide area
              power systems disturbance analysis, so it facilitated
              records' interchange.
              3. Display format and frame of reference for user
              Users want to display in their own format, with Daylight Savings,
              etc.

              Some users, unfortunately, didn't \understand or care, and set all
              offsets to zero. Then they wondered why things were screwed up :-<

              Perhaps I / we didn't do a good job of explaining it to them.

              Dean Weiten.

              --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, hjwoudenberg@... wrote:

              > If you schedule a time to call someone, and you take your cell phone
              or
              > appointment software to Europe, you will be reminded about a half
              dozen hours to
              > early. If you travel the world a big problem. If you travel the US a
              > smaller problem.

              <chop chop>

              Message 6 of 7 , Aug 10, 2007
                --- In ISO8601@yahoogroups.com, "piebaldconsult" <PIEBALDconsult@...>
                wrote:

                > > ONLY EXACTLY on (actual local) time, ANYwhere in the world!
                >
                > Yes, but... time zone isn't strictly decided by location on the
                globe,
                > there are other factors.

                What other factors?

                Time zone is not defined in ISO 8601. Actual time shift between local
                (or standard) time and UTC is.

                And there, GPS comes in.
                With ISO 8601 implemented correctly by locally competent authorities,
                for ANY spot in the world the time difference between local time and
                UTC is known at ANY moment, all discontinuities in local time scale
                accounted for. Thus, Z and GPS data combined, it should be simple to
                show correct actual local time there and then.

                (If very rare "black spots" where ISO 8601 might not be implemented
                correctly might still exist, of course there only Z is applicable.)

                Regards,
                Jan
                Message 7 of 7 , Aug 24, 2007
                  > With ISO 8601 implemented correctly by locally competent authorities,

                  (So tempted... so tempted...)

                  > for ANY spot in the world the time difference between local time and
                  > UTC is known at ANY moment, all discontinuities in local time scale
                  > accounted for. Thus, Z and GPS data combined, it should be simple to
                  > show correct actual local time there and then.

                  I think my point may have been that you can't go directly from GPS-to-
                  offset, you'll need some sort of lookup table (which must be kept
                  updated) of GPS-to-region because time zone lines wander and such.

                  > (If very rare "black spots" where ISO 8601 might not be implemented
                  > correctly might still exist, of course there only Z is applicable.)

                  Right, I understand Antarctic stations use Z or something (their
                  national offset?), but I could be very wrong.