¡Daylight Saving Time Complicates Computing Loc al Time In ISO8601, But Does Not Save Energy!

  • Ŭalabio‽
    Message 1 of 2 , Apr 19, 2007
      ¡Hello!

      ¿How fare you?

      The data is here. We did not save any energy:

      * - <http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070403-the-daylight-
      savings-change-no-savings-no-point.html>

      * - <http://today.reuters.com/misc/PrinterFriendlyPopup.aspx?
      type=domesticNews&storyID=2007-04-02T223538Z_01_N02447830_RTRUKOC_0_US-D
      AYLIGHT-ENERGY.xml>

      * - <http://www.ucei.berkeley.edu/PDF/csemwp163.pdf>

      Those URLs are long except the last. I shall shrink them for you:

      * - <http://tinyurl.com/25qvnt>

      * - <http://tinyurl.com/2bwczy>

      * - <http://tinyurl.com/2xnbrd>

      Daylight Saving Time does not save energy. Benjamin Franklin
      proposed Daylight Saving Time as a joke:

      Benjamin Franklin’s
      Essay on Daylight Saving
      Letter to the Editor of the Journal of Paris, 1784

      DAYLIGHT SAVING
      To THE AUTHORS of
      The Journal of Paris
      1784
      MESSIEURS,

      You often entertain us with accounts of new discoveries. Permit me
      to communicate to the public, through your paper, one that has lately
      been made by myself, and which I conceive may be of great utility.

      I was the other evening in a grand company, where the new lamp of
      Messrs. Quinquet and Lange was introduced, and much admired for its
      splendour; but a general inquiry was made, whether the oil it
      consumed was not in proportion to the light it afforded, in which
      case there would be no saving in the use of it. No one present could
      satisfy us in that point, which all agreed ought to be known, it
      being a very desirable thing to lessen, if possible, the expense of
      lighting our apartments, when every other article of family expense
      was so much augmented.

      I was pleased to see this general concern for economy, for I love
      economy exceedingly.

      I went home, and to bed, three or four hours after midnight, with my
      head full of the subject. An accidental sudden noise waked me about
      six in the morning, when I was surprised to find my room filled with
      light; and I imagined at first, that a number of those lamps had been
      brought into it; but, rubbing my eyes, I perceived the light came in
      at the windows. I got up and looked out to see what might be the
      occasion of it, when I saw the sun just rising above the horizon,
      from whence he poured his rays plentifully into my chamber, my
      domestic having negligently omitted, the preceding evening, to close
      the shutters.

      I looked at my watch, which goes very well, and found that it was
      but six o’clock; and still thinking it something extraordinary that
      the sun should rise so early, I looked into the almanac, where I
      found it to be the hour given for his rising on that day. I looked
      forward, too, and found he was to rise still earlier every day till
      towards the end of June; and that at no time in the year he retarded
      his rising so long as till eight o’clock. Your readers, who with me
      have never seen any signs of sunshine before noon, and seldom regard
      the astronomical part of the almanac, will be as much astonished as I
      was, when they hear of his rising so early; and especially when I
      assure them, that he gives light as soon as he rises. I am convinced
      of this. I am certain of my fact. One cannot be more certain of any
      fact. I saw it with my own eyes. And, having repeated this
      observation the three following mornings, I found always precisely
      the same result.

      Yet it so happens, that when I speak of this discovery to others, I
      can easily perceive by their countenances, though they forbear
      expressing it in words, that they do not quite believe me. One,
      indeed, who is a learned natural philosopher, has assured me that I
      must certainly be mistaken as to the circumstance of the light coming
      into my room; for it being well known, as he says, that there could
      be no light abroad at that hour, it follows that none could enter
      from without; and that of consequence, my windows being accidentally
      left open, instead of letting in the light, had only served to let
      out the darkness; and he used many ingenious arguments to show me how
      I might, by that means, have been deceived. I owned that he puzzled
      me a little, but he did not satisfy me; and the subsequent
      observations I made, as above mentioned, confirmed me in my first
      opinion.

      This event has given rise in my mind to several serious and
      important reflections. I considered that, if I had not been awakened
      so early in the morning, I should have slept six hours longer by the
      light of the sun, and in exchange have lived six hours the following
      night by candle-light; and, the latter being a much more expensive
      light than the former, my love of economy induced me to muster up
      what little arithmetic I was master of, and to make some
      calculations, which I shall give you, after observing that utility
      is, in my opinion the test of value in matters of invention, and that
      a discovery which can be applied to no use, or is not good for
      something, is good for nothing.

      I took for the basis of my calculation the supposition that there
      are one hundred thousand families in Paris, and that these families
      consume in the night half a pound of bougies, or candles, per hour. I
      think this is a moderate allowance, taking one family with another;
      for though I believe some consume less, I know that many consume a
      great deal more. Then estimating seven hours per day as the medium
      quantity between the time of the sun’s rising and ours, he rising
      during the six following months from six to eight hours before noon,
      and there being seven hours of course per night in which we burn
      candles, the account will stand thus;--
      In the six months between the 20th of March and the 20th of
      September, there are

      Nights
      183

      Hours of each night in which we burn candles
      7

      Multiplication gives for the total number of hours
      1,281

      These 1,281 hours multiplied by 100,000, the number of inhabitants, give
      128,100,000

      One hundred twenty-eight millions and one hundred thousand hours,
      spent at Paris by candle-light, which, at half a pound of wax and
      tallow per hour, gives the weight of
      64,050,000

      Sixty-four millions and fifty thousand of pounds, which, estimating
      the whole at-the medium price of thirty sols the pound, makes the sum
      of ninety-six millions and seventy-five thousand livres tournois
      96,075,000

      An immense sum! that the city of Paris might save every year, by the
      economy of using sunshine instead of candles. If it should be said,
      that people are apt to be obstinately attached to old customs, and
      that it will be difficult to induce them to rise before noon,
      consequently my discovery can be of little use; I answer, Nil
      desperandum. I believe all who have common sense, as soon as they
      have learnt from this paper that it is daylight when the sun rises,
      will contrive to rise with him; and, to compel the rest, I would
      propose the following regulations; First. Let a tax be laid of a
      louis per window, on every window that is provided with shutters to
      keep out the light of the sun.

      Second. Let the same salutary operation of police be made use of, to
      prevent our burning candles, that inclined us last winter to be more
      economical in burning wood; that is, let guards be placed in the
      shops of the wax and tallow chandlers, and no family be permitted to
      be supplied with more than one pound of candles per week.

      Third. Let guards also be posted to stop all the coaches, &c. that
      would pass the streets after sunset, except those of physicians,
      surgeons, and midwives.

      Fourth. Every morning, as soon as the sun rises, let all the bells
      in every church be set ringing; and if that is not sufficient?, let
      cannon be fired in every street, to wake the sluggards effectually,
      and make them open their eyes to see their true interest.

      All the difficulty will be in the first two or three days; after
      which the reformation will be as natural and easy as the present
      irregularity; for, ce n’est que le premier pas qui coûte. Oblige a
      man to rise at four in the morning, and it is more than probable he
      will go willingly to bed at eight in the evening; and, having had
      eight hours sleep, he will rise more willingly at four in the morning
      following. But this sum of ninety-six millions and seventy-five
      thousand livres is not the whole of what may be saved by my
      economical project. You may observe, that I have calculated upon only
      one half of the year, and much may be saved in the other, though the
      days are shorter. Besides, the immense stock of wax and tallow left
      unconsumed during the summer, will probably make candles much cheaper
      for the ensuing winter, and continue them cheaper as long as the
      proposed reformation shall be supported.

      For the great benefit of this discovery, thus freely communicated
      and bestowed by me on the public, I demand neither place, pension,
      exclusive privilege, nor any other reward whatever. I expect only to
      have the honour of it. And yet I know there are little, envious
      minds, who will, as usual, deny me this and say, that my invention
      was known to the ancients, and perhaps they may bring passages out of
      the old books in proof of it. I will not dispute with these people,
      that the ancients knew not the sun would rise at certain hours; they
      possibly had, as we have, almanacs that predicted it; but it does not
      follow thence, that they knew he gave light as soon as he rose. This
      is what I claim as my discovery. If the ancients knew it, it might
      have been long since forgotten; for it certainly was unknown to the
      moderns, at least to the Parisians, which to prove, I need use but
      one plain simple argument. They are as well instructed judicious, and
      prudent a people as exist anywhere in the world all professing, like
      myself, to be lovers of economy; and,from the many heavy taxes
      required from them by the necessitities of the state, have surely an
      abundant reason to be economical. I say it is impossible that so
      sensible a people, under such circumstances, should have lived so
      long by the smoky, unwholesome, and enormously expensive light of
      candles, if they had really known, that they might have had as much
      pure light of the sun for nothing. I am, &c.

      A SUBSCRIBER

      Benjamin Franklin

      As you can see, it is humorous. Most Parisians did not stay up
      until just before dawn and sleep until afternoon.

      ¡Peace!

      --

      "Ŭalabio‽" <Walabio@...>

      The first Intactivistic wiki on Earth devoted to Peaceful Beginnings:

      * - <HTTP://PeaceFulBeginnings.Org/> <HTTP://IntactWiki.Org/>
      Message 2 of 2 , Apr 21, 2007
        Yeah, we know that, but that has nothing to do with ISO 8601.