Re: [ISO8601] How is this all related to ISO 8601 ?

  • BUDAI A. Endre
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 31 4:50 PM
      Thank you for your explanation.  However, it is hard to find the attached documents as credible support when they are peppered with obsolete dates.

          In examples:
      18:22 Fri 26 Jan 2007 REF:JPNAACN1
      On 13 Oct 06, at 11:50, Arthur Chesterfield-Evans wrote:
      Convergence & Mobility Conference in Sep 2006
      OASIS XML Conference on Fri 27 Oct 2006
          etc.

      Nonetheless, it is encouraging to see that there are some organisations in Australia that entertain the idea of adhering to the world standard and requesting that their correspondents implement its use.

      B., A.E.

      Message 2 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
        It is related only by the furthest stretch of the imagination. Stephen has been asked not to post this stuff to this list before.
        The fact he posts materials that includes mails from others saying they want to be off of his mailings, is further indication that he is a spammer or unable to match his content to the target lists.

        Over the years he has been warned and periodically he keeps coming back.
        I suggest the best response is to inform yahoo that he is abusing the list.
        tex

> [...]

        Asset and can be traded (by the Council of course not the
        Volunteer)

        Hence these are the concerns for our consultants and why we have
        notified the ISO 8601 group as they have a strong focus on Standards.

        The ISO 8601 community will understand the OIC rational to have a
        single address format in AS4590 and EDIFACT otherwise no-one will be
        able to interchange information reliably, cheaply and quickly.

        Does that explain why we also need the ISO 8601 Community support
        on this issue ?

        Regards

        Stephen GOULD
        Public Officer
        OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

        E: sggould@oic. org
        M: 0416-009-468
        W: http://www.oic. org

        • Urbaniak, Sebastian
          Message 4 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007

            My apologies.

            New to this mailing-list.

            Can someone point me to the FAQ ?

            alternately if there is no FAQ for this list;

            Can I get some input from the members on:

                            What tactic(s) do I use to get my company / clients on the  ISO8601  band-wagon ?

            (We are Canadian [yes, the most date–confused nation on the planet : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date], with clientele mainly in the continental US)

            It seems like a total uphill battle,  with huge opposition and no end in sight.

            All help appreciated.

            Caution: Above HTML message will not display correctly on BlackBerry or text-only mail readers.

            Sebastian Urbaniak
            Brock Solutions
            86 Ardelt Av., Kitchener, Ontario, Canada,  N2C 2C9
            Tel: (519)571-1523x328,  Fax: (519)571-1721
            mailto:surbaniak@...
            http://www.brocksolutions.com

            Engineering Solutions that Perform.

            Message 5 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
              > Can someone point me to the FAQ ?

              Read the spec if you haven't yet, it's in the Files section of the
              Group. There are other files in there as well that may answer some
              common questions, or at least show that we don't know either.

              > What tactic(s) do I use to get my company / clients on the ISO8601
              band-wagon ?

              Get your colleagues to do the same.

              The main thing to bear in mind about ISO 8601 is that it is intended
              primarily for exchanging temporal data as text between computers.

              Using it in other written communication (like email) isn't necessary;
              however you should probably get into the habit of formatting dates
              and times in similar ways:
              A) Use ISO 8601 formats for dates
              B) Use twenty-four hour time
              C) Make an effort to use time zone offsets when time zone information
              is necessary

              I don't suggest you go all out and add the "T" between dates and
              times when the expected reader is not a computer.

              When it comes to actual data interchange between computers, insist on
              ISO 8601. XML Schema uses formats that were "inspired by ISO 8601",
              so simply insisting on XML should accomplish this.