Re: [ISO8601] Business Ethics & Social Responsibilities -- I don't get it. How is this all related to ISO 8601 ?

  • BUDAI A. Endre
    Message 1 of 9 , Jan 30 5:47 AM

      ----- Original Message -----
      Sent: 2007. január 30. 2:12
      Subject: [ISO8601] Business Ethics & Social Responsibilities

      18:22 Fri 26 Jan 2007 REF:JPNAACN1
      Y/R: Convergence & Mobility 2006/09/19 09:15
      7 Eml 09:46 T 2006/10/10
      TO: Steve RUST cc Federal and State Politicians
      Deputy Managing Director Local Government
      PANASONIC AUSTRALIA Interested Parties

      Dear Steve

      BUSINESS ETHICS AND SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITIES

      As you have emailed the Politicians and contacts, this email is to
      explain the rational behind the emails to you and try to summarise
      the Business Ethics and Social Responsibility issues for large
      Consumer Companies like Panasonic Australia.

      Because Panasonic are new to the Computer Industry you were included
      in the management emails as a "Big Gorilla" without inside knowledge on
      what was happening with IT issues

      > What do you suggest be done about it?
      >
      > Sincerely
      >
      > Dr Arthur Chesterfield-Evans MLC
      > NSW Parliamentary Leader
      > Australian Democrats
      > ph: 02 9230-2303
      > fax: 02 9230-2866

      Over the past 15 years I and a number of IT Professionals have tried to
      explain to Australian Politicians how Australia is being used as the
      global test site for eCommerce with the Banks and the major Computer
      Companies trying to build in "duplicate address formats in the
      eCommerce Standards"

      > I cannot understand the content and in any case the content is
      > not relevant to my business interests.

      However on Australia Day I ask you to bear with this issue because
      I believe that you has a strong sense of Business Ethics and Social
      Obligations and the "content is very relevant to your business interest"

      SUMMARY

      The US Computer Industry at the behest of the International Bankers
      have developed eCommerce standards with two address formats.

      This provides a perpetual need for each eCommerce message to be
      checked by a "Value Added Network Services"

      (The International Bankers are the Group that awarded Paul KEATING
      the title as "World's Best Treasurer" in 1984.

      KEATING was the first Treasurer to:

      1 deregulate the financial markets,

      2 make Superannuation Compulsory

      3 allow overseas investors buy Australian property and shares)

      The reason why the International Bankers are nominated is due
      the Banks actions at the Australian EDI Standard Committee in 1988
      to have the US eCommerce Standard nominated as an Interim
      Austrsalian eCommerce Standard for 2 years
      http://www.halisa.net/A/U/SME/

      The Government was advised possibly by ARNOLD, BLOCK and
      LEIBLER Lawyers to the Australian Wheat Board [AWB] to build
      an eCommerce Hub for the Australian Wheat Board to sell Grain to
      Iraq

      In 1995 I wrote to Isi LEIBLER then President of the Executive Council
      of Australian Jewry requesting a meeting to explain what was happening
      with eCommerce
      http://www.halisa.net/J/J/^jababa1.gif

      The AWB BizDex Hub is now being promoted as the Community
      Hub for Local Government with IBM, Intel and Microsoft as the
      main sponsors

      IBM and Microsoft are working together to develop the new .Net
      operating system

      IBM has long been recognised as developing Operating Systems
      that were very hungry for memory and disk (the Operating Systems
      were call CICS - Complex Instruction Computer System)

      And the Microsoft Operating System is upgraded all the
      time requiring major hardware upgrades

      On 13 Oct 06, at 11:50, Arthur Chesterfield-Evans wrote:

      > Dear Mr Henry,
      > Thank you for your information. I have taken an interest in Open
      > Source software, and tried to stop things like bulk purchases of Windows
      > licences from Microsoft etc and to get NSW to move to Open Source.
      >
      > I am sure that all file sizes are increasing, but this is surely not just
      > the Government tenders.
      >
      > Bill Gates and the whole IT industry are selling more memory and
      > bandwidth.
      >
      > What do you suggest be done about it?
      >
      > Sincerely
      >
      > Dr Arthur Chesterfield-Evans MLC
      > NSW Parliamentary Leader
      > Australian Democrats
      > ph: 02 9230-2303
      > fax: 02 9230-2866

      TENDERS INDICATING THE TREND

      As you are aware OIC members developed a Tender System
      and the tenders over the last 3 months indicate:

      1 Many Councils will not be able to meet the requirements of
      the new State Legislation

      2 The Mayor and Councillors will not understand the issues

      3 The costs of operating these new systems will be very
      expensive for Local Government Rate Payers

      BACKGROUND

      In the past Panasonic have focused on the Consumer Market and are
      new to the IT Market with the Panasonic "ToughBook" Ruggedized
      Computer

      It is because Panasonic is new to the Computer Industry that we have
      tried to inform you as a Consumer Giant of the "Dirty Tricks" that is
      being carried out by "Respectable members" of the Computer Industry
      including IBM, Microsoft and Intel.

      The initial meeting with the OIC was at the Panasonic sponsored
      Convergence & Mobility Conference in Sep 2006.

      After that conference a meeting was arranged with you to discuss
      Panasonic sponsoring a 12 month education/awareness program for
      Australian Local Government Agencies.

      This was the proposed Agenda submitted 2 weeks before the meeting
      to facilitate questions at the meeting
      http://www.oic.org/z/LZIG/spr/JPNBPSC1.htm

      During the meeting it transpires that none of the Panasonic
      Attendees had any software experience or software knowledge

      Hence I suggested that Panasonic may wish to attended the
      OASIS XML Conference on Fri 27 Oct 2006 to understand how
      a very small group have decided a Computer Policy that is not
      in the interestes of the Public

      NEXT STEPS

      Obviously an organisation like the OIC need major non-IT Sponsors
      like Panasonic to support the stand that has been made on
      Information Industry eCommerce Standards

      Hence these were the reasons that we endeavoured to inform
      you of what was occurring with eCommerce Standards in Australia

      Yours sincerely

      Stephen GOULD
      Public Officer
      OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

      E: sggould@...
      M: 0416-009-468

      Subject: FW: James - AIIA AS4590 policy eagerly awaited
      Date sent: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 13:17:06 +1100
      To: <sggould@...>, "AIIA-2007-Board Directors" <a9aacgl1@...>,
      "Australian Federal & State Politicians" <611bcgl1@...>,
      "Australian Media" <vxxacgl1@...>,
      "For the Mayor & General Manager" <61c1dgl1@...>

      Dear Sirs,

      For many months I have been requesting to be unsubscribed from all
      correspondence from OIC. I never requested to be included in your
      emails.

      Frankly, it is most annoying to receive emails from Stephen Gould and
      others. I cannot understand the content and in any case the content is
      not relevant to my business interests.

      If you cannot comply with my request, I will be seeking redress under
      our Privacy legislated laws.

      Yours sincerely,

      Steve Rust

      Message 2 of 9 , Jan 30 6:55 AM
        It isn't, just ignore it.
      • Stephen GOULD
        Message 3 of 9 , Jan 30 6:30 PM
          Endre - it is related because OIC members in Australia have developed
          an eCommerce Application for Government tenders that uses ISO 8601
          http://www.oic.org/P/CPTAECE1.htm

          Many tenders have multiple dates eg

          1 Date and time of Publication
          2 Date and time of Briefing
          3 Date and time to Register for briefing
          4 Date and time for questions
          5 Date and time of Response registration

          While ISO8601 provides a standard format it does not identify a field
          name in an eCommerce Document which is where AS4590
          and UN/EDIFACT Standards are required
          http://www.oic.org/z/XZIG/AS4590

          It is while reviewing these tenders we became aware of how
          eCommerce Standards AS4590 Australian eCommerce Standard
          and UN/EDIFACT United Nations Standard were now being included
          in Local Government and Local Community tenders
          http://www.oic.org/z/LZIG

          If you review some of the Government tenders that have been published
          in 2006 then you may also have concerns.
          http://www.oic.org/3c4.htm

          Examples include

          1 All Councils and Education Establishments bidding for Electricity
          every 15 minutes - will require ISO 8601
          http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#l

          2 Market Based Instruments for Natural Resource Management
          http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#e

          What this means is a market will be set up for Water, Gas,
          Electricity and Carbon Trading - will require ISO 8601

          If it is like the Electricity trading above it mean every 15 minutes
          an electronic bid is sent and the Government and ISPs receive
          revenue - this is often referred to as the Rothschilds Economic
          Model for Government Enterprises

          The fees will be passed on to the end-consumer/rate payer who
          does not understand how "Markets" work except everybody seems
          to make a lot of money for making paper go round

          Here is an example of Australian Politician visiting Europe of 1 month
          no doubt to expound the virtues of Carbon trading when he returns

          On 25 Jan 07, at 9:09, Paul Llewellyn wrote:

          > I am in Europe looking at carbon trading arrangements, renewable energy
          > projects and much more until the 25 of February. Check out my web site
          > for updates. www.mp.wa.gov.au/llewellyn
          >
          > Paul

          3 Recreation Strategies
          http://www.oic.org/cpt/A/Ect/#q

          These strategies include providing "Volunteers" - the major difference
          is that Volunteer labour can be recorded by Councils as an
          Asset and can be traded (by the Council of course not the
          Volunteer)

          Hence these are the concerns for our consultants and why we have
          notified the ISO 8601 group as they have a strong focus on Standards.

          The ISO 8601 community will understand the OIC rational to have a
          single address format in AS4590 and EDIFACT otherwise no-one will be
          able to interchange information reliably, cheaply and quickly.

          Does that explain why we also need the ISO 8601 Community support

          On 30 Jan 07, at 21:47, BUDAI A. Endre wrote:

> [...]
        • Stephen GOULD
          Message 4 of 9 , Jan 31 5:05 AM
> [...]

            Asset and can be traded (by the Council of course not the
            Volunteer)

            Hence these are the concerns for our consultants and why we have
            notified the ISO 8601 group as they have a strong focus on Standards.

            The ISO 8601 community will understand the OIC rational to have a
            single address format in AS4590 and EDIFACT otherwise no-one will be
            able to interchange information reliably, cheaply and quickly.

            Does that explain why we also need the ISO 8601 Community support
            on this issue ?

            Regards

            Stephen GOULD
            Public Officer
            OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

            E: sggould@...
            M: 0416-009-468
            W: http://www.oic.org

          • BUDAI A. Endre
            Message 5 of 9 , Jan 31 4:50 PM
              Thank you for your explanation.  However, it is hard to find the attached documents as credible support when they are peppered with obsolete dates.

                  In examples:
              18:22 Fri 26 Jan 2007 REF:JPNAACN1
              On 13 Oct 06, at 11:50, Arthur Chesterfield-Evans wrote:
              Convergence & Mobility Conference in Sep 2006
              OASIS XML Conference on Fri 27 Oct 2006
                  etc.

              Nonetheless, it is encouraging to see that there are some organisations in Australia that entertain the idea of adhering to the world standard and requesting that their correspondents implement its use.

              B., A.E.

              E: sggould@oic. org

              Message 6 of 9 , Feb 13, 2007
                It is related only by the furthest stretch of the imagination. Stephen has been asked not to post this stuff to this list before.
                The fact he posts materials that includes mails from others saying they want to be off of his mailings, is further indication that he is a spammer or unable to match his content to the target lists.

                Over the years he has been warned and periodically he keeps coming back.
                I suggest the best response is to inform yahoo that he is abusing the list.
                tex

> [...]

                Asset and can be traded (by the Council of course not the
                Volunteer)

                Hence these are the concerns for our consultants and why we have
                notified the ISO 8601 group as they have a strong focus on Standards.

                The ISO 8601 community will understand the OIC rational to have a
                single address format in AS4590 and EDIFACT otherwise no-one will be
                able to interchange information reliably, cheaply and quickly.

                Does that explain why we also need the ISO 8601 Community support
                on this issue ?

                Regards

                Stephen GOULD
                Public Officer
                OPEN INTERCHANGE CONSORTIUM

                E: sggould@oic. org
                M: 0416-009-468
                W: http://www.oic. org

                • Urbaniak, Sebastian
                  Message 8 of 9 , Feb 26, 2007

                    My apologies.

                    New to this mailing-list.

                    Can someone point me to the FAQ ?

                    alternately if there is no FAQ for this list;

                    Can I get some input from the members on:

                                    What tactic(s) do I use to get my company / clients on the  ISO8601  band-wagon ?

                    (We are Canadian [yes, the most date–confused nation on the planet : http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calendar_date], with clientele mainly in the continental US)

                    It seems like a total uphill battle,  with huge opposition and no end in sight.

                    All help appreciated.

                    Caution: Above HTML message will not display correctly on BlackBerry or text-only mail readers.

                    Sebastian Urbaniak
                    Brock Solutions
                    86 Ardelt Av., Kitchener, Ontario, Canada,  N2C 2C9
                    Tel: (519)571-1523x328,  Fax: (519)571-1721
                    mailto:surbaniak@...
                    http://www.brocksolutions.com

                    Engineering Solutions that Perform.

                    Message 9 of 9 , Mar 7, 2007
                      > Can someone point me to the FAQ ?

                      Read the spec if you haven't yet, it's in the Files section of the
                      Group. There are other files in there as well that may answer some
                      common questions, or at least show that we don't know either.

                      > What tactic(s) do I use to get my company / clients on the ISO8601
                      band-wagon ?

                      Get your colleagues to do the same.

                      The main thing to bear in mind about ISO 8601 is that it is intended
                      primarily for exchanging temporal data as text between computers.

                      Using it in other written communication (like email) isn't necessary;
                      however you should probably get into the habit of formatting dates
                      and times in similar ways:
                      A) Use ISO 8601 formats for dates
                      B) Use twenty-four hour time
                      C) Make an effort to use time zone offsets when time zone information
                      is necessary

                      I don't suggest you go all out and add the "T" between dates and
                      times when the expected reader is not a computer.

                      When it comes to actual data interchange between computers, insist on
                      ISO 8601. XML Schema uses formats that were "inspired by ISO 8601",
                      so simply insisting on XML should accomplish this.